Info on a new AT ski set up

AARON1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by AARON1:

I am interested in the turns more than the hole AT experience. Any info would be great.

You mean little touring? Then I would be looking at true downhill skis and some fritschis. Bandits seem to work well for people. I like my Tuas for the weight and snap but they get bossed around on stuff that an alpine ski can cruise.

It sounds to me like you're thinking a little too light if your concerned primarily with "turns". I've seen folks with the Dynafit bindings have real hassles those toe prongs (icing-up, pre-releasing for no good reason, etc.) [MR T]

I'd also have to agree with iain regarding skis: a slightly beefier ski will afford you better control in the glop we often get in the backcountry.

FWIW, Here's what I use:

Atomic 9.22 BetaRide

Fritschi Freeride

Scarpa Lazer

...it's a bomber rig and not very heavy. [rockband]

I disagree with most of the above comments. The Dynafit combo with CR110 is a very good set up for the pnw. There are many of us happy Dynafit customers, not that there aren't times when the front pins require a little fiddling. It's just not that significant imho. Likewise, you'll find many happy CR110 skiers.

If you are really interested in the turning part, you might want to give your downhill boots a shot. I realize that this doesn't seem to work out for 95% of the touring population, but I've toured in my downhill race boots now for about 10 years, and I've never had a single blister. I think the key for me has been a super tight heel pocket so that you can tour with your buckles pretty much fully undone for flexibility without getting any heel/ankle friction. Last May four other friends and I did a 2 week traverse in the Coast Icefields, and I had zero problems with my boots. They all had downhill boots as well, and they only had minor problems.

The two things that do suck are putting them on in the morning when they are frozen, and touring flats (frozen lakes, glaciers) because the forward flex locks you in a knee-bent position.

I did at one point buy a pair of Nordica TR9's, which I sold because they had too much volume so I got blisters and the downhill performance sucked by comparison.

Thought I'd express an opinion I hadn't heard here yet. Race boots forever!

The Dynafit bindings are great. Mark your boots with a sharpy to show were the prongs go. The Scarpa laser boots are excellent, much better than a soft pair of Dynafit boots I used to use. I ski on light skiis because I spend most of my time going uphill in the backcountry, but if you want skiis that turn well for agressive skiing in the crud a lot of people think the K2 Shuksans are best.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

anyone skiing Miras out there? what do you think about them? I'm thinking of some 188's.

I demo'd the K2 Shuksan's last year and was not impressed. A sales guy had raved about them, but I found them to be not as responsive as I'd like for quick turns. Did just fine as GS cruiser. ymmv

I ended up getting 188 Mira's which I've used in powder, crude, slush and summer hardpack. I like them a lot. Plenty wide in powder, solid enough to handle pnw crude and quick turning. The only icy conditions I've skied them on was climbing the sw chute on adams and starting the descent before the sun hit the face. I was nervous about the icy, hard snow conditions - once I committed to the first turn it was obvious the Mira's could handle the conditions with easy. Had a really good run. They're mounted with Dynafits.

[edited for clarity-russ]

[ 10-21-2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

If y'all are truly interested in b/c turns with little emphasis on touring, there is simply no comparison to a lightweight downhill ski with Fritchis on them.

Try the Atomic R.EX, the Fischer 75 or 84, the Bandit XX, etc, etc. Go shorter and wider up here in the PacNW - remember, if you're touring for turns, you're likely to be out in soft snow conditions, and in some trees at some point. Ie: you want float + manueverability!

-c-

quote:

anyone skiing Miras out there? what do you think about them? I'm thinking of some 188's.

Not skiing them yet, but there are some in my closet waiting for the *freshiez* to start. All I can say now is that they feel like they are going to be sweet.

quote:

practicing jump turns in the living room eh? Nice avatar image.
[laf]
I've heard good things about them. Are you using them for AT?

I got a wicked deal on them so I went out on a limb and splurged - one for AT and one for tele. That should be one pair...

I went on the good reviews and the wicked price mostly, but I don't thinkl I am going to be dissapointed.