Weep for the McMansions....

JayB

Yes, you receiving tax breaks to live in your mansion requires others who do not live in mansions and receive said tax breaks to pay more

That would only be true if the government were providing some sort of collective service in return for taxes paid. Fortunately, 90% of our taxes are tossed into a shithole and set afire.

Here's a sad little lesson for you - if they raise my taxes, they ain't gonna lower yours. So, the mortgage deduction ain't costing you shit.

Sweet jesus - how did you escape being Soylent Green'd already?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see house sizes balloon from what they used to be back in the day. All the little boxes out in the West Seattle are slowly being replaced with huge behemoths such as the towering sun eclipser next door. I guess it goes hand in hand with the fattening and spine weakening of america.

Back in what day?

My house is right around 3400 sq ft and it is a hundred years old. Why is it suddenly a "mansion".

And for everyone else out there ready to tell me I should live in a 600 sq ft studio--fuck you. One of the many things I like about living in America is I can live wherever the fuck I want. Just so happens, I chose to live in the best thing in the best place I can afford (all subject to my own opinions and tastes obviously).

And I agree that changing the status quo on this deduction sucks; many of us factored that into our purchasing decisions (it doesn't change my ability to live in my home--but I have other homes I also finance and use as income property). Our tax system is screwed--but don't fuck the middle class in the ass til the ass is worn out. Try taxing the uber rich, the mega hedgefunds, equity brokerages, and the corporations at the same rate those of us in the middle class get taxed. At least pretend to be fair.

Corporate versus personal tax schedules here:

http://www.smbiz.com/sbrl001.html#ci

Share of income and tax burdens by income bracket:

taxfdn_2.gif

First of all, my loan for my home is pretty small--and that is what the tax break is based on

:grin: you lucky dog - built up equity.

But no matter, the amount written off the interest of the loan (remember that is all that is written off, not the amount of the loan) is small enough not to have much impact compared to many, many other tax "loops" and unfair taxation (as listed above).

the taxes and tax breaks can indeed be offsetting, although some of us benefit more than others...

Interesting to see house sizes balloon from what they used to be back in the day. All the little boxes out in the West Seattle are slowly being replaced with huge behemoths such as the towering sun eclipser next door. I guess it goes hand in hand with the fattening and spine weakening of america.

Back in what day?

My house is right around 3400 sq ft and it is a hundred years old. Why is it suddenly a "mansion".

And for everyone else out there ready to tell me I should live in a 600 sq ft studio--fuck you. One of the many things I like about living in America is I can live wherever the fuck I want. Just so happens, I chose to live in the best thing in the best place I can afford (all subject to my own opinions and tastes obviously).

And I agree that changing the status quo on this deduction sucks; many of us factored that into our purchasing decisions (it doesn't change my ability to live in my home--but I have other homes I also finance and use as income property). Our tax system is screwed--but don't fuck the middle class in the ass til the ass is worn out. Try taxing the uber rich, the mega hedgefunds, equity brokerages, and the corporations at the same rate those of us in the middle class get taxed. At least pretend to be fair.

taxfdn_2.gif

ppssfft. taxes are for the little people.

Back in what day?

taxfdn_2.gif

Where's the write-off and credit section? that is where the rub is.

Back in what day?

taxfdn_2.gif

I believe the chart shows actual receipts, so the figures are net of write-offs, credits, etc.

Well whatever. Archenemy, I'm going to have to store my consumer CRAP in your house as I'll be running out of space the moment on my online shopping binges start getting fulfilled.

mmm insomnia and the ikea catalog

whats your happy animal porter?

Back in what day?

taxfdn_2.gif

I believe the chart shows actual receipts, so the figures are net of write-offs, credits, etc.

Really? That wasn't apparent to me when I followed that link and looked at the page. It just lists rates.

Furthermore, I don't see on that little graph where personal taxes are seperated from corporate taxes. Do you?

Edited by archenemy

Back in what day?

taxfdn_2.gif

Really? That wasn't apparent to me when I followed that link and looked at the page. It just lists rates.

Furthermore, I don't see on that little graph where personal taxes are seperated from corporate taxes. Do you?

I think that the chart in question deals only with taxes paid by individuals.

This link: http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

Shows share of total income and share of total (individual) taxes paid by income group from 1980-2004.

"The top-earning 25 percent of taxpayers (AGI over $60,041) earned 66.1 percent of nation’s income, but they paid more than four out of every five dollars collected by the federal income tax (84.9 percent). The top 1 percent of taxpayers (AGI over $328,049) earned approximately 19 percent of the nation’s income (as defined by AGI), yet paid 36.9 percent of all federal income taxes."

Whether you think that this is fair or not is a matter of perspective.

• 7 months later...

JayB, latest in the saga of the McMansion next door:

We noticed that our new neighbors must have gone on a long vacation until a bunch of moving trucks showed up. They backed out of the deal (i.e. came to their senses) so the house is back on the market and awaiting your return!

Speaking of McMansions, when riding east bound on the I-90 trail and up into Feroglia fields park, there are a huge row of multi-thousand foot megamansions with lots of windows. I'm sure the heating bill and CO2 footprint is enormous. One of the first McMansions you see has a Obama 2008 sticker displayed proudly on its window. :wave:

Well, their vote for Obama coupled with their house will probably still do more for the environment than your vote for McCain coupled with your bicycle. :laf:

bullshit.

what that person does is makes all the high-and-mighty lefties who claim to "care about the environment" and the "crisis" of "climate change" look like hypocritical fucks. It damages the cause and credability of all who make these claims, and certainly makes people on my side of the political spectrum - who are willing to *consider* making changes for the environment - actually lean towards rejecting doing so.