Have you seen that vigilante man

Ive been hearin his name all over this land

Vigilante man

Vigilante man

Vigilante man

Vigilante man

Vigilante man

Vigilante man

Is detaining someone until police arrive illegal in this state?
I think that is legal, at least I'd be willing to find out.

Had my car broken into on the Mountain Loop Highway a few years ago. They only got some CDs, I think the car alarm scared them away before they could get more.

This crap pisses me off.

Somebody should start a trail head taxi service.

Sorry this happened, but thanks for sharing your experience so that other folks can learn from it. At the moment if anyone were to break into my car, they'd get their hands on at least as much personal information as these guys stole. Definitely need to do a bit of cleaning, and re-think what I leave in the car and where I leave it.

Sorry this happened, but thanks for sharing your experience so that other folks can learn from it. At the moment if anyone were to break into my car, they'd get their hands on at least as much personal information as these guys stole. Definitely need to do a bit of cleaning, and re-think what I leave in the car and where I leave it.

No kidding. I like the idea of

keeping a copy of the registration

with blacked-out info in the car. I'm gonna

get rid of all the other stuff like receipts

and crap with addresses on them right after work.

This is really sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

Something a pal suggested to me a few years back was to take only a "climb wallet" on a hike or climb. That's a ziplock bag, containing about $50 cash, a drivers license, and a single debit/credit card. The rest of the wallet stays safe at home. The baggie goes with you on the climb.

I might now also start leaving all keys at home, and only bring a car key . . .

Something a pal suggested to me a few years back was to take only a "climb wallet" on a hike or climb. That's a ziplock bag, containing about $50 cash, a drivers license, and a single debit/credit card. The rest of the wallet stays safe at home. The baggie goes with you on the climb.

I've been doing that for years, but it contains cash, drivers

license, credit card, Geico card and health insurance card.

I just take my car key and home key - why carry the rest?

The rest stay at home.

It looks like it would be a good idea to leave the garage door opener at home as well.....

You know, I did go through my car after work, not just the glove compartment, but the cubby holes and the visors, etc., and I found at least 10 pieces of paper with my name and home address on them - mostly receipts. Jiffy Lube, the dealership, Les Schwab, and so on. They don't need your registration to get your address, but I am going to make a blacked-out version of that tomorrow. I may take the light bulb out of my glove compartment, and start leaving it open at trailheads, just to show there's nothing there.

I have called off a trip because of questionable people in the area, a buddy of mine parked his car only to come back two days later and have the shock that some fool had taken a axe to his whole car! he drove this home, a hour long drive with more than a hundred axe cuts in it, and no glass.

You know, I did go through my car after work, not just the glove compartment, but the cubby holes and the visors, etc., and I found at least 10 pieces of paper with my name and home address on them - mostly receipts. Jiffy Lube, the dealership, Les Schwab, and so on. They don't need your registration to get your address, but I am going to make a blacked-out version of that tomorrow. I may take the light bulb out of my glove compartment, and start leaving it open at trailheads, just to show there's nothing there.

The only problem for me is that even after denuding the truck of anything that would make it easy for them to gain access to my house or credit - there's still a bunch of stuff that I keep in my truck that I'd rather not have anyone steal.

I've got a basic set of tools, a big flashlight, a headlamp, a shovel, come-along, tow-strap, one of those portable jump-start deals, light-sleeping bag, therma-rests, etc - basically the stuff I need to fix the more common stuff that can hose you if you are 20 miles from the last fork on the logging road, or if I need to crash overnight someplace - and while none of it is particularly valuable - I have a hard time with the "unlocked door" idea for some reason, even though I know that the kind of person who is jacking cars at trailheads wouldn't be the least bit reluctant to smash every single window if it stood between them and something they wanted, and/or provided some momentary amusement.

What's everyone else do? Locked or unlocked?

Anyone ever have a vehicle stolen from a trailhead, or know someone who this has happened to?

The "trailhead vehicle" with torn upholstery, no stereo, rusted out body panels and.... a fully restored and very reliable engine/drivetrain/suspension/etc is definitely part of the long-term plan. After another winter driving between Boston and parts north on some of the most intensely salted roadways in the US, the "rust" part of the plan should be pretty well in place...

The only problem for me is that even after denuding the truck of anything that would make it easy for them to gain access to my house or credit - there's still a bunch of stuff that I keep in my truck that I'd rather not have anyone steal.

I've got a basic set of tools, a big flashlight, a headlamp, a shovel, come-along, tow-strap, one of those portable jump-start deals, light-sleeping bag, therma-rests, etc - basically the stuff I need to fix the more common stuff that can hose you if you are 20 miles from the last fork on the logging road, or if I need to crash overnight someplace - and while none of it is particularly valuable - I have a hard time with the "unlocked door" idea for some reason, even though I know that the kind of person who is jacking cars at trailheads wouldn't be the least bit reluctant to smash every single window if it stood between them and something they wanted, and/or provided some momentary amusement.

What's everyone else do? Locked or unlocked?

Anyone ever have a vehicle stolen from a trailhead, or know someone who this has happened to?

I've got my fairly new Outback, with some of the stuff you mention under the back floor - jumper cables, headlamp, basic tools, work gloves, shovel - but this is all stuff that nobody could sell for meth. It's worth about $20 altogether. I keep a ratty old blanket in the back instead of a sleeping bag for the occasional crash, just because it looks unattractive to thieves. I keep nothing else in there except my change clothes and a lawn chair when I park it at the TH. I leave it locked, and as I said, I may start leaving the glove compartment open, just so prying eyes will see it's empty and hopefully move on.