Rock Shoes

Winter

Hey folks -

I'm looking for a new pair of rock shoes for long trad routes ... alpine ... all day stuff. (Need 'em on time for my week long trip to the winds! [smile] ) I've tried on the Boreal Equinox and like the feel (board lasted) as well as the Mythos. Any recommendations or thoughts? Anyone used the Equinox, an "intermediate" shoe? Seems like everything out there these days is made for sport climbing.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

winter,

just picked up a pair of the 5.10 ascents. i fit them to wear with lit sox, as to fit the long alpine route bill.

before that i was using 5.10 mocasyms, only problem i had with those guys is that they wore out in like 3 months or something.....

the one thing i found pretty attractive about both of these shoes is that you can take them off easily. i know i like to remove my shoes after hard leads or resting at belays while my pattnrs take the next lead or block.

the mocasyms pack well and are lite.

i tried on about 20 pairs of shoe, before i picked up the ascent. i wanted to buy them a while ago but balked. now that i have them i like them.

i also wore mythos for many many long routes and liked them as well.

My son just bought a pair of the equinox (what's the plural for that word?), and used 'em for the first time this morning, but its much too early to offer any meaningful review. They seem decently made, and look like they'd make a decent all day shoe.

For long routes, especially if you're not pushing the desperate edge of your comfort level, just find a shoe that fits. You'll know it when you find it, it'll just feel right. For me, on the long alpine stuff, I use an old pair of first generation Fire's that have been resoled about 4 times. I like the full leather uppers for all day knocking about, they perform well enough up to middling 5.10 and harder if need be, and time has made them exactly the shape of my feet.

[ 08-06-2002, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Off White ]

quote:

Originally posted by michael_layton:

I will only wear the Mythos until they are discontinued and then I'll stockpile.

If any la sportiva reps are watching, don't fuck these shoes up like you (and every other company)do with everything else.

[laf] they do have a new "women's" version coming out next spring - different color and little bit different cut. personally, i prefer the nice purple ones. can't wait to try out those new testarossa's, though! [Cool]