Arc'teryx...Enjoy them while you still can.

Son_of_Caveman

In Reply to: This sucks, BIGTIME posted by Utah CragHopper on February 01, 2002 at 15:28:53:

: Now we're screwed.

: How long will it take before Arc'teryx production moves to

: China, lowering the costs to Salomon, but somehow

: never being reflected in the retail price? How long

: before they decide the real money is in clothing rather

: than packs and harnesses, so they deemphasize then finally

: get rid of that part of the business altogether?

: How long before they decide they need to increase the

: revenue of the Arc'Teryx department, so they push the

: gear out into more mainstream retailers, where it's bought

: by people who only need to keep dry as they walk from their

: SUV to the entrance of the Mall. When your product is being

: bought by people who don't require it to really work, why

: bother selling anything that does more than look like it

: would work.

: This is the beginning of the North Facification of Arc

: Teryx. Marmot is already heading down the road that North

: Face travelled, and now the very best outdoor clothing

: maker is choosing the same path.

: This really and truly sucks.

: I don't need Salomon to "FuEL YOuR INStINCt ", I just

: want the best gear you can buy. No Mountain Dew guzzling,

: hip hopping, extreme, proactive, duder, gex-X bullshit;

: just the understated dignity of beautiful, quality design

: that doesn't need any hype.

: P.S. Salomon's website bites. What the hell is with these

: doofs who think making every single link on their site

: a Flash movie is a good idea?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have been trying to by the Bird for 2.5 years now. Companies only wanted to buy the clothing part and not the hardwear. They sold to salomon b/c they: 1.bought the whole thing (packs, outerwear, and harnesses) and 2. they agreed to leave the company to it's own devices. They are still going to be running them selves.

Salomon is owned by Adidas, and they let salomon runthemselves also. All in all Arcteryx should be making the same stuff for a long time they same way they have been in the past. In fact, the new fall 2002 and spring 2003 stuff is the shit.

I saw a t.v. ad the other day and began having some of the same feelings you've expressed....when the dead bird rep showed up at our store the other day I asked if there was any intention to move production off shore; he made an interesting point----a number of processes used in the production of arc'teryx gear require very specialized machinery. Specialized enough that the machinery is built for their factory alone and nobody else currently has it. I can't remember the name of the brand that Salomen ownes, but the company was making stuff off-shore, and Salomen, upon purchase of the company, moved production back to europe. Certainly there is still a chance that "the bird" will go off shore, but I'd say those chances are remote--for now.

Arcteryx has been making some stuff (Daypacks for REI) offshore for years. Check the tags and look for the Made In canada/Fait Au Canada hangtag. Duh.

They only did it cause REI said they would stop carrying TNF daypacks in favor of Arcteryx if Arcteryx came out with a new daypack line [laf][laf][laf] death to TNF [laf][laf][laf] . Hence the Wire, Volt, Amp etc. And they didnt have the space to set up the extra pack production here, so they offloaded it to Korea.

ArcTeryx uses the same business model that Oakley, TNF, and others use....

That is that if you don't charge enough money for your product, nobody will want it. A bunch of over-priced mediocre crap if you ask me. I've never used their harnesses however. I think they sell some kind of gore-tex climbers jacket for about $450 US! What a joke! [Razz][Wazzup][Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:

ArcTeryx uses the same business model that Oakley, TNF, and others use....

That is that if you don't charge enough money for your product, nobody will want it. A bunch of over-priced mediocre crap if you ask me. I've never used their harnesses however. I think they sell some kind of gore-tex climbers jacket for about $450 US! What a joke!
[Razz][Wazzup][Wazzup]

have you ever even seen one of their jackets??? dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. people want arc'teryx shells because they are the best. nobody wants to pay $450 for a jacket.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

either way! dey still reperzent da same thing...

Fine, I'll only wear a non-child labor organic hemp poncho that I got on barter for a block of cheese and some churned butter on all my climbs from now on so that I can justify my above statement. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

either way! dey still reperzent da same thing...

Fine, I'll only wear a non-child labor organic hemp poncho that I got on barter for a block of cheese and some churned butter on all my climbs from now on so that I can justify my above statement.
[big Grin]
Do you own a cow or are you making that dairy product out of your wifes breast milk??

[Eek!]

Just like in "The Best Of Savage Love" [Razz]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got three arcteryx gore jackets, one I got for $250 CDN, one I got for $25 CDN and one I got free... o ya i worked in shipping there

--------------------

where???? hook it up!!!

quote:

Originally posted by turn_one :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got three arcteryx gore jackets, one I got for $250 CDN, one I got for $25 CDN and one I got free... o ya i worked in shipping there

--------------------

where???? hook it up!!!

arcteryx warehouse and they dont hire scum like you [Razz]