Missing kitty suggestions

rmncwrtr

One of my cats is missing. We've never had a lost animal so not quite sure what to do. It doesn't help that I'm three hours away and hubby didn't realize the cat wasn't in the house until today. Looks like Rocket has been gone since yesterday afternoon. I'm tempted to drive home tonight even though I have to be back in Tacoma by 9 am for a class tomorrow morning.

The cat is an indoor housecat with no collar since he never goes outside. He's also sick (but doesn't look it) and needs medicine twice a day.

I told hubby to put up signs and go door to door in the neighborhood. Is there anything else we should do?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation not long ago.

Indoor cat with no microchip or collar went missing, we pasted neighborhood with missing cat flyers, visited all the shelters, etc.

Three agonizing and painful days later we got a call from a neighbor that our cat was up in their tree. Poor thing spent three days up there right before Christmas in horrible weather. I had to aid climb up the ice-covered tree to get her down.

So, my recommendations:

-Make a good flyer with pictures

-Cover your neighborhood in flyers

-Walk around your neighborhood frequently looking for him

-LOOK UP IN TREES!

-Talk to your neighbors in person about the cat

-visit the local shelters and look for your cat

-give them a copy of the flyer

-look on Craigslist lost/found

-Put something that smells like you (dirty shirt) outside

-Provide some kind of shelter outside your house if you don't have a porch or something

-don't give up.

Good luck!

p.s. When you get your cat back, make sure you microchip it and consider keeping a collar with identifying tags on it. It is very inexpensive and obviously "indoor-only" cats can get out occasionally and when they do, are more likely to get lost.

Rocket is alive and well! The coyotes will have to look elsewhere, G-spotter, though I really should post his picture in the fat cat thread. He's a big fat cat.

Thanks, Alpinfox. I sent your message to my hubby. He was preparing flyers when the kitty was found. My nine year old took it upon herself to search for him. She found him in my closet underneath a suitcase that had a backpack and other bags piled on it. Hubby swore he'd checked the closet at least five times since yesterday and that the cat had to be outside. Perhaps it was only wishful thinking on his part! Anyway, I'm so relieved and so are the kids. I'm going to look into those microchip things when I get home. Our outdoor cat has one, but the two indoor cats are tattooed with my ODL number. Not much good now that we've moved to Washington. Thanks again!

WOw! Glad the kitty was found! Is this the one you recently had in the hospital (that was you, right?).

About a year after I got Latte, I lost her for a night. I was working at a camp and came home during an evening off. I couldnt find her anywhere. I would leave the window open in the apt, which had no screen, because it was not unusual to see 100 degrees on a regular basis. Besides she loved to hang out on the roof and watch everything happening in the neighborhood.

I refused to go back to work once I realized she was missing -until she was found. Fortunately my bf at the time found her digging around in a dumpster. It had been raining and she literally smelled like shit! She never ran away (outside, that is) again.

Cats can find some crazy places to hang out in. Especially if they dont want to be found for a while.

Thanks Carolyn and yes, that was me with the kitty in the hospital. Rocket is the brother of that one, Spirit, but he also has the same problem as her. Hyper-T. Just can't afford the same treatment for him right now. Soon, I hope! That's what I asked for my birthday.

Oh, poor Latte! Good for that bf finding her. Sounds like she learned her lesson about going outside.

I think Rocket is mad at me which is why he hid. I couldn't find him to say goodbye when I left on Friday. I have spoiled those cats so badly this was probably just his way of striking back at me. Just glad I didn't drive home or this type of action might have become the norm whenever I have to go away in the future!

I had a indoor cat who took off, Boogieboy wasn't the smartest cat and used to freak out. After a couple of weeks I figured he was dead, but a month after he escaped (made the mistake) we found him. He didn't look like he had much in the ways of survival skills, since he dropped about 15 lbs in a month. Also he was so grubby, we barely recognized him. Well it might have taken him a month to drop 15, but it was about 2 eeks and he was back to his "normal" boogie self.

Its possible your cat has contributed to the healthy diet of the local coyote population. In which case you can take some solace that you have supported America's wild predators.

Can't you guys just get a new cat? They all look the same anyway.

G-spotter meet Kat_Roslyn.

Kat_Roslyn meet G-spotter.

The two of you obviously belong together.

This introduction a courtesy of ccmatch.com.

• 2 weeks later...
...Alpinfox had already mentioned microchiping in his post and I'm calling my vet next week when I get home.

Hey M!

Glad you found Rocket. I'm not gonna lecture you about the microchip and all that, cuz you've heard it enough. But I would suggest that you invest in a Geiger Counter for the next time either one of them escapes. Might make locating them a tad easier... :grin: Or just look for them at night, and hope they don't go AWOL on a full moon.

I think Rocket is mad at me which is why he hid. I couldn't find him to say goodbye when I left on Friday. I have spoiled those cats so badly this was probably just his way of striking back at me. Just glad I didn't drive home or this type of action might have become the norm whenever I have to go away in the future!

When Phydeaux gets mad at me, he just takes a shit on the rug by the front door. If I'm gone for more than a coupla days, I can count on finding his little treasures when I walk in. It's his way of saying, "I love you." :rolleyes:

Hey, Sobo. Where have you been, buddy? I've missed you :)

Never thought of a geiger counter before, but given the glowing radioactivity of my kitties, it's probably not so bad an idea. Wonder what the half-life of I131 is?

Sounds like Phydeaux has been in cahoots with a couple of mine. :fahq: When I got back from my trip to Tacoma, one went all over my clothes and bag. :anger: A nuzzle and some purring would have been a much better welcome home.