[TR] Chelan Mountains - Cardinal, Emerald, Saska, and Pinnacle Peaks 7/4/2007

tvashtarkatena

Trip: Chelan Mountains - Cardinal, Emerald, Saska, and Pinnacle Peaks

Date: 7/4-8/2007

Trip Report:

My wife Joanna and I took the our dogs Willi and Annie on their first backpack trip over the week of the 4th. Our route just happened to take us right past Cardinal, Emerald, Saska, and Pinnacle Peaks, which I, of course, had to bag. Starting at the Entiat River TH, we ascended Anthem Creek, then left the trail to negotiate 2 passes before dropping into the headwaters of the Entiats N fork.

At first the dogs couldn’t figure out how to negotiate a simple blowdown. By the end of the trip, they were prancing across logs over rapids, fording fast moving streams, and jumping off of 4 foot high boulders.

Steep snow at the first pass required some improvisation. I short roped Joanna down before going back up to drag the two dogs on a clothes line. They were, to say the least, not amused.

856854371_70a869576e.jpg

Fetching the dogs

856853619_e8bd286de7.jpg

Cruelty to animals, Part 1. Dragging the dogs down slope.

Annie pulled out of her collar and ran right back up the slope, treeing herself on a small cliff. Up I went a third time.

856855805_4882f9f54a.jpg

All down. Finally.

857714352_3a1541fddf.jpg

Nap time

From our cowboy camp at the N fork, we ascended to Saska Pass before dropping into Snow Brushy Creek and out. I scrambled up Pinnacle from our camp in Snow Brushy Creek. Four enjoyable nights out in some really beautiful country and perfect weather.

857713610_c7b083b3a6.jpg

Forget something?

856852231_3d85bee312.jpg

Cruelty to Animals Part II: Annie takes the plunge

857712252_51abd84310.jpg

Objective 1: Cardinal Peak

856856007_521ab548fb.jpg

Rainier from Cardinal Peak

857712778_68369f2d95.jpg

Objective 2: Emerald Peak.

856856463_633bb28997.jpg

Snow Brushy Creek from Saska Peak

857716166_52c0f2c5bf.jpg

Willi at Saska Pass

857715804_6e0ed9e17e.jpg

Fine. You go that way and I'll go this way. Dropping into Snow Brushy Creek

857711468_4cf3982b51.jpg

The burn on the approach to Borealis Pass and Pinnacle Peak. The trail is gone.

856853275_2f24cd7749.jpg

Burnt hemlock. Snow Brushy Creek.

857714102_a93d2501e7.jpg

Mmmmorels

The Chelan mountains are Washington's best kept secret. Or, er, were anyway. Over the summer's peak weekend, we didn't see a soul until the last day (a whopping party of 2). Cowboy camps right out of Brokeback Mountain, larches, great scrambling peaks, a zoo full of wildlife, including bighorns (OK, we didn't see any, but the signs say they're there), morels, dollar Rainiers at the Ardenvoir cafe...all about 3.5 hours from Seattle. What's not to love?

Gear Notes:

Lite axe and aluminum crampons.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got the cheapest saddlebags I could find and they worked fine. One dog got a little chafing under her front armpit, but nothing other than that.

Their paws got a little raw in between their toes from 'braking' on the snow descent, but they were fine by the next day. The trails aren't very rocky, which can be cause problems, so no worries there.

Dogs can carry about 20% of their weight; 8 lbs in this case. That included all of their food, water, gear, and a little bit of ours, too. Funny, our packs got lighter every day; theirs never did.

For them, we took 1.5x their normal rations of food, water/food bowls, a little first aid kit (neosporine, doggy ace bandage), a foam sleeping pad, an airline blanket, leashes (OK, we forgot the leases in the car, but they would have been useful), a set of four booties in case of paw injury, and a 3/4 liter water bottle each.

At first they had no clue what to do with a pack on their back. One kept running richocheting off of trees and rocks like a pinball. Within an hour or so, they had it pretty well figured out.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Love that TR, especially the dog experience. At first, my dog couldn't figure out switchbacks, always turning around to go in the same (apparent) direction as me, even if it was downhill. :confused: He eventually got it, if only because I was carrying his food. Who knows where he'd be now if he had a saddlebag.