You knew it had to come to this eventually.

Scaling new heights

Perhaps an "executive parachute" — now being marketed for businesspeople in the wake of Sept. 11's terrorist attacks — doesn't appeal for last-minute building escapes. Or maybe your job just makes you feel like climbing the walls. Whatever the case, the German makers of the gekkomat (in German, the name means "automatic lizard-climber") could be onto something.

hotsync.wall.jpg

The gekkomat sticks to walls thanks to suction nozzles powered by compressed air from a tank on the climber's back. And quite a lizard it is — its creators say it can hold a ton. Did anyone say "Godzilla"?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must get one immediately to keep under my desk at work in case there is Jihad soon here in Seattle. If any terrorist tries to fly into my building, I would quickly assemble this simple device while warding off panicking co-workers, then smash out the windows on my floor and put the suit on. Then in one poetically smooth motion I would swoop down to other floors of the building and save my ass. I can see it now.

Hey, that thing might come in handy in Yosemite too. [laf]

Doot....Dooot ....Dooot

BANNNNNNNNN!!!! Warning 0 pressure! Warning 0 pressure!

"Oh dear god, it's out of air and I am not receiving a top rope belay..... (as shown in the pic.)

..ahhhhhhhhhh."

splat

[big Drink]

[ 05-02-2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: HernyG ]

Back in the day . . .

3M made (maybe they still do?) 1'x1' emergency-orange squares made of a plastic funkness with a grommet in one corner. The intent of these squares was to facilitate movement of cargo containers. They were used by soaking in isopropyl alcohol, then sticking them onto the side of the container. I had several discussions with a friend about putting an aid-line --like a bolt ladder-- up the Captain with the squares. We wisely, IMO, decided it would be too controversial.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

Back in the day . . .

3M made (maybe they still do?) 1'x1' emergency-orange squares made of a plastic funkness with a grommet in one corner. The intent of these squares was to facilitate movement of cargo containers. They were used by soaking in isopropyl alcohol, then sticking them onto the side of the container. I had several discussions with a friend about putting an aid-line --like a bolt ladder-- up the Captain with the squares. We wisely, IMO, decided it would be too controversial.

That sounds like a gargantuan version of the superglued webbing-loop ladder up the north side of the Columbia Boulder, but probably a bit more controversial.