all around Ice axe

IceIceBaby

genspires:

"Anyway, the day my flash dies I will replace it with a grivel air tech and cut off the rubber grip." What I meant was that you don't have to buy the Grivel Air Tech and cut off the rubber grip, you can just buy the Air Tech Racing, since it is the Air Tech without the rubber grip. But if you want to buy the Grivel Air Tech and cut off the rubber grip, that is your choice.

Aree we misunderstanding each other here? confused.gif" border="0 I might not have understood your post?

Sometimes "text only" is easy to misread.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by russ:
When you cut off the rubber on the Air Tech, is the shaft finished underneath the same as the upper part?

It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the lower shaft is actually thinner than the upper. That way the rubber grip is flush (or level) to the upper shaft, unlike most axes. So if you cut it off, you'll end up with a rather silly looking axe and possible very difficult to hold/manage.

quote:

Originally posted by Jman:

It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the lower shaft is actually thinner than the upper. That way the rubber grip is flush (or level) to the upper shaft, unlike most axes. So if you cut it off, you'll end up with a rather silly looking axe and possible very difficult to hold/manage.

You can follow the links on the Marmot site http://www.marmotgear.com/ to see a picture of the Air Tech - looks like the rubber is not flush to the upper shaft.

quote:

Originally posted by slothrop:
Why would you want to hold your axe with the pick forward for self-belay, anyway? If things are spooky enough that you're having to self-belay, isn't that all the more reason to be ready to whip out the self-arrest quickly?
rolleyes.gif" border="0

I would like to hear you saying this at the end of the day after 10,000 thrusts and plunges to neve or any other form of stiff hard snow and ice tongue.gif" border="0

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]