Eastside Campgrounds

Anybody have any favorite eastside campgrounds (developed or undeveloped) they'd like to recommend? Ideally something between say as far south as yakima and as far north as plain. Looking for car camping, not necessarily anywhere near climbing, although I wouldn't mind. Cheap and free sites preferred. Ideally someplace on a river with some fishing (even if mediocre). Privacy is good. We've spent quite a bit of time at the free site near salmon la sac and are looking for someplace new and maybe a bit further east given the weekends forecast. Any ideas (PM or post)?

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icicle creek has lots of great spots.

Got $$$?

If no: Past Rock Island (see campground map provided at Ranger station), on either road fork, there are some really sweet free spots with no amenities, great river access, and views. Excellent semi-alpine ambience abounds, and at almost 3000ft these sites shouldn't be too hot.

If yes: There are a half dozen or so well-maintained campgrounds sprinkled up the canyon (8 mile to Rock Island) with water, crapper, trashbin, and views.

I was with my toilet-training toddlers on our first camping outing together last night so we shelled out $13 for the convenience of a Rock Island site. No ticks or goats were seen! I guess they couldn't afford the fee.