MSR Tents?

wdietsch

Checking out the thread on the MSR snowshoe recall I went to the MSR site. I Figured what the hell thru the years I have bought a fair amont of their stuff (stoves, biners, pickets, cooksets)and I am interested in their snowshoes, let's check out the site and see "wassup" especially since the sell/buy between REI and Cascade Designs.

Did I miss something here? When the @#$% did they start making/selling tents? What's up with this $370 "Titanium Dioxide" 2 pole rainfly gizmo. I feel like Rip Van Winkle or something. When did all this shit happen?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by danielpatricksmith:
Their tarp thingy is 1/2 pound lighter than the BD Betamid. I don't know if that justifies the extra $ 271.00.

A simple rectangular tarp works very well, and sets up with no poles as long as you plan on camping in the trees.

...I had a chance to check out all the new MSR tents before Christmas- a lot of their new tents are Moss or Walrus designs reworked with some ultralite fabrics- their plan is to offer top quality tents with Moss tent features-

Their copy of the Black diamond Betamid is worked a little better, it has a vent opposite the door for good cross flow ventilation, but IMHO it's not worth buying the MSR unless you can get it on Prodeal.

2nd to Mattp about the tarp, BUT these new two pole "duex teton" style tarp tents hold up in hella high winds, are extremely taut in the pitch, AND are sweet to dig into the snow for an easy standup height winter abode.

I see no way to justify $700, or even $500 for a small tent. It's just not worth it. I have a couple Marmot 2-person tents that can take on some nasty shittin' weather and I'm in them around $200-220. WTF if they weigh 7.4 lbs. I'll gladly carry the extra 2 lbs. to save $300-500. Seems like a no-brainer, but I was wrong once last year. Kiss it Caveman and Dru [Moon]