mt adams question

hammer1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What research have you done? What route are you taking? There are a ton of books on Mt Adams climbing routes, and they state what gear you should bring. IT really depends on conditions and your route, but being that it is a 12,000 foot peak, I would bring up crampons just in case you hit any icy slopes.

It sounds like you plan on climbing via a overnight at Lunch Counter. If you stay in the accent path you won't need crampons, and if you are not familiar with their use, may be more dangerous than without. Take storm gear as weather can change quickly. Sun screen and good sunglasses are also essential. Be careful if you sit-gissade down from Piker's Peak (false summit) to Lunch Counter. It is a lot of fun, but ice-axe injuries and broken bones occur every year.

hi pug..thanks for the good info. we are planning on the lunch counter as the overnight stop. would your recommended route be the same as the mazamas route? will it be more like a long hike as opposed to climbing? thanks again. rich and sam.

Hammer:

The standard south side route on Adams is not the Mazamas route. However, in July, it is likely that the trailhead will be practically full. You are very unlikely to be alone, so it will be more of a matter of following the herd than anything else.

I have been up Adams multiple times, and I have always taken crampons, though I have not always used them. Your call on that, but I would never recommend that you NOT take them.

I have several TRs and a tone of photos on my website. Take a peek if you are interested.

Web address is in my profile.

I was up on the S spur rt this past weekend, and with the nice weather, the snow was soft enough that crampons were not necessary, and there was a well established boot pack line the whole way. If you get a stretch of colder weather prior to your trip, it might help to have them. I would recommend bringing crampons and an axe if for no other reason, the s. spur would serve as a straight forward, relatively safe route to teach your son about crampon and axe use (self arrest, not stepping on your inner pant cuff, avoiding self-inflicted pneumothoracese whilst glissading, etc.). In july, there will be plenty of folks around to chat with if you have questions yourself. Have fun!