[TR] Middle Sister - Full Moon Fever: North Ridge -> SE Ridge 5/31/2007

gapertimmy

Trip: Middle Sister - Full Moon Fever: North Ridge -> SE Ridge

Date: 5/31/2007

Trip Report:

Because I truly never get "over it".

Full moon coupled with the solid high weather system over the Pac NW meant a harvest time in the 3SW (da three sisters wilderness). The scramble for partners at the last second on Wednesday resulted in my buddy J-Dub (of former mt bachy fame) coming along for his first ever BCski-slash-Volcoslogofdeath march!

So the plan was made and put into action late Wed night: hike in to snow line camp, and then get the alpine start on the N Ridge of Middle followed by some tasty corn down the SE flanks. Sick.

-9PM Wed-

No other cars were in the lot at Pole Creek TH as we shouldered our packs and headed up the dusty trail. The slowly fading twilight lit our path almost all the way to the creek crossing, and the pleasant temps urged us along to our camp at snowline.

-4AM Thur-

After catching a few winks (few being the operative word here) we began skinning up towards the ol-sweet lass Middle Sister. Snow in the trees hadn't fully setup overnight, but by the time we hit timberline, things were might firm, and the light show began.

IMG_27961.JPG

smoke + sunrise = beauty

IMG_2812.JPG

South Sister

IMG_2813.JPG

Our Playground for the day, up the right ridge, down the left

IMG_2825.JPG

J-Dub liking what he see's

The rest of the skin and climb up the North Ridge, and for that matter the entire day, was just one of those magical days in the mountains; perfect temps, light breeze, absolute solitude, big views, good friends, and acres of corn. Heaven? Absolutely.

IMG_2856.JPG

J-Dub slogging the final few feet to the top, big views to the north of all the volcanos

IMG_2857.JPG

Looking South from the Summit

The ski down the SE ridge was, as always, enjoyable. We even got to do some super fun scree boulder hoping in ski boots... which is a must-do for any Oregon BC adventure.

We finished by skiing down the diller? glacier off the SE ridge. This lead us to an excellent icy cold stream at the toe of the glacier where we drank up some much needed water, and soaked in the final views of our amazing tour:

IMG_2859.JPG

A good time was had by all.

Approach Notes:

Its going going, almost gone. Lots of blow down on the trail but Memorial weekender traffic has trampled in trails around all obstacles. No skeeters - yet.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my boy, back on the horse.

Isn't that line off the SE ridge down the Diller cool? I did that last time and remembered it being really fun, like a roller coaster. Did you just head straight down to Chamber Lake Trail from there or did you traverse North? How far did you have boot before skinning?

I spy a good line on Prouty HW. It's either that or SE ridge Sat/Sunday.

no mosquitos? that'll change real soon.

JL

Nice pics- I should a have brought my own camera. Thanks for showing me the way and getting me hooked on this ski decent thing. I will never slog up another mountain with out carrying skis again!

Edited by Jay Dub