Speeding Ticket Advice?

Blake

Coming down from WA pass on Monday, I got a speeding ticket. I was coming down the west side, about 3pm. Here are the details:

Bright sunny day

I had just passed a motorhome

73MPH in a 60MPH zone

I was coasting (to save gas... 75 miles between gas stations!)

Really clean driving record

$132 ticket from the WSP

Any advice or ideas on what to do? I really don't feel like i was endangering the public safety, I had just gotten around a trailer and hit a steep spot on the hill.

The court date (if I want one) is only in Mt vernon, so not too far away.

I have never dealt with this kind of thing before, so any advise is welcome.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming down from WA pass on Monday, I got a speeding ticket. I was coming down the west side, about 3pm. Here are the details:

Bright sunny day

I had just passed a motorhome

73MPH in a 60MPH zone

I was coasting (to save gas... 75 miles between gas stations!)

Really clean driving record

$132 ticket from the WSP

Any advice or ideas on what to do? I really don't feel like i was endangering the public safety, I had just gotten around a trailer and hit a steep spot on the hill.

The court date (if I want one) is only in Mt vernon, so not too far away.

I have never dealt with this kind of thing before, so any advise is welcome.

If you really want off and are willing to pay, hire a lawyer. My sisters kids have been let off everything.

Did you admit guilt? Cops usually ask "Do you know why I stopped you?" to get you to admit it.

WA state law allows you to speed to pass someone on a 2 lane highway, but not on a 4 lane. Was it Hwy 2, 20 or I90?

I always request a contested hearing and mail my ticket in certified mail with a return receipt. In the envelope, include a discovery request letter. Ask for the officer's sworn statements and records for the speed measuring device. If they don't mail that info to you, then you can move for a dismisal.

If they do send you the paperwork, then you can cite mitigating circumstances and try for a reduced fine.

Man they had more troopers out over the memorial day weekend than I have ever seen.

-----------------

When you go to court, bring visuals; posters, maps, diagrams, etc. I'm told judges view you as someone who is serious about this.

----------------

And for the future: Here are the type of climbers that don't get tickets- drive a pickup, have no ear piercings, have short hair, be wearing a baseball cap, drive an american made vehicle, have no tattoos, no bumper stickers, don't have a license plate frame that indicates you bought your car in Seattle, have all your paperwork out before he even shows up, have your hands on 10 and 2 the whole time and look him in the eye and dont' stutter or argue.

Many groups of people customarily argue with law enforcement and thus more often end up with a poor outcome.

I had an old clmbing buddy from texas that met all the above critera and had pulled over 14 times by WSP and never got a ticket.

When you go to court, bring visuals; posters, maps, diagrams, etc. I'm told judges view you as someone who is serious about this.

I don't know who told you that. Most judges will probably think you watch too much TV and are a time-wasting, under-qualified, wise-ass.

"Don't even think you can bluff me with your visual aids, amateur!"

mathis1.jpg

Second suggestion is to defer the ticket. This will keep it off your record so long as you don't get another one in the next two years.

It's only one year, not two. 10 more months for me, baby!!!

This will cost you (possibly depending on the county) a $150 flat fee and the ticket cost is waived unless you get another one within the 1 year period, but could possibly save you in insurance hikes depending on your insurance's policies. You may want to call them and ask what this will do to your rates if you get stuck with the ticket. If it won't hurt them, I'd advise to just have a mitigation hearing to reduce your payment. This will be far cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

Man they had more troopers out over the memorial day weekend than I have ever seen.

-----------------

----------------

And for the future: Here are the type of climbers that don't get tickets- drive a pickup, have no ear piercings, have short hair, be wearing a baseball cap, drive an american made vehicle, have no tattoos, no bumper stickers, don't have a license plate frame that indicates you bought your car in Seattle, have all your paperwork out before he even shows up, have your hands on 10 and 2 the whole time and look him in the eye and dont' stutter or argue.

Many groups of people customarily argue with law enforcement and thus more often end up with a poor outcome.

I had an old clmbing buddy from texas that met all the above critera and had pulled over 14 times by WSP and never got a ticket.

He also could give one mean blow job I'll bet.

-----------------

----------------

dunno - blake's a handsome white man - seems like if anyone's talking their way out it's him, 'specially w/ a carfull of similiar looking girls, eh?

First, enter a plea of "innocent".

Then, see if you can change the court location. It screws the cops up and if the cop doesn't show up for the hearing, you're home free.

I got a $421 speeding ticket in Oregon a couple of years back from an OSP officer. He clocked me doing 87 in a 65 zone. When I went to court to plead innocent, the clerk gave me the option of changing the venue to a court that was closer to my home. So, of course I changed it. I guess Officer Obie didn't get the letter informing him of the change, because he never showed up for the traffic court. The judge asked if he was there and when nobody answered, he dismissed the charge! I immediately went outside and had a victory cigar!

Good luck with your ticket.

Hey Blake, ALWAYS GO TO THE COURT DATE! Even if they don't scratch the ticket, you can usually make sure that it doesn't go on your permenant record. Because after all, the ticket itself is not the expensive part, its the totally jacked up insurance afterwards that fcuks you over.

I got a ticket on Stevens Pass about six years ago, and didn't go to my court date. It only this year came off my record. I figure that that ticket has cost me roughly $5,000 in extra insurance (because I was WAY under 25 when that happened). I actually did deserve the ticket though.......... (82 in a sixty around a corner.....)

Good luck!

-----------------

----------------

dunno - blake's a handsome white man - seems like if anyone's talking their way out it's him, 'specially w/ a carfull of similiar looking girls, eh?

Ah, but he wasn't driving a pickup, nor was he wearing the requisite baseball cap. But I think it was the rope in the back that gave him away as a perfidious climber.

My advice is buy a faster vehicle so you can outrun the cop next time.

Also, driving the wrong way on the highway seems to be so hott right now. I don't think any tickets have been issued this week for those folks, so no need for all those venue changes and certified mail business.

any advise is welcome.

Go into the courtroom and say this:

"I was minding my own business when this jack-booted fucking thug pig tries to run me off the road, then has the balls to claim that I was speeding. I was genuinely upset by Porky Pig's terrible driving, likely caused by his donut-stuffed, coffee stained gut bumping into the steering wheel, while he licked his fat-ass fingers in an attempt to get the last little crumbs from his 10th Tweenkie of the morning. So, when porker Pancho pulled me over, I called out his sorry tub-of-goo ass for being such a shitty driver. I'm not here for speeding, I'm here for speaking truth to (porker) power."

Then, see if you can change the court location. It screws the cops up and if the cop doesn't show up for the hearing, you're home free.

do I just write a letter and request a closer-to-home court date, or is there some formal way to do this?

This doesn't fly in WA, actually. All they need is the ticket as evidence against you. The officer doesn't have to show.

But it's worth the change if that makes it more convenient, at least.

Plea bargain. Before the hearing actually starts approach the prosecutor and bargain. Explain to him that you would be willing to plead guilty to a no point offense (something arcane like crossing RR tracks while barrier is down). Many times they'll go along with it just to hurry things along in the courtroom. You'll typically pay a fine, but don't get the points. If s/he wants to be an asshole tell them you want a vulture, I mean lawyer, and get it postponed.

Deferment is your best bet. Most of what people have said thus far is BS. Lawyers are good, but save that for later tickets. In court the judge will call you up and it is then that you’ll ask for your deferment given your clean driving record. WSP will do a pretty bullet proof job with the ticket loopholes; that said before you go to court request discovery papers and filing date from the court. Rule IRLJ 2.2(d) could help. It used to make the courts file the ticket within in 48 hours but it was revised in 2006 to allow 5 days not including holidays and Sundays. If your ticket was not filed within 5 days it’s dismissed, but you’ll have to inform the judge of this.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.display&group=clj&set=IRLJ&ruleid=cljirlj2.2