Bright LED Headlamps

Colin

I know that this has been discussed before, but I never came up with a conclusion to what was said. I have been convinced that LED headlamps are the way to go. More than for any other reason, I think this because you really don't have to carry any extra batteries for them - even on long trips.

However, I want to buy an LED headlamp that I can use for serious nighttime use, not just as a backup. In terms of being able to see far in the distance (like for route finding, locating rap anchors, etc...), I don't think that the Tikka and Moonlight really cut it. Because their LED's are just lined up rather than behind a lens, the light can't be adjusted to shine in a beam, but rather just glows.

What is the brightest LED headlamp out there? Not really knowing anything about headlamp design, I think that an ideal lamp for my needs would have 6-8 LED's behind a focusable lens. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you looked at the LED Bulb that goes in the Petzl Zoom? It's 3 LED arrangement that replaces the regular bulb. I tried to find one at the downtown REI this past Sunday. I was told that you can gat one at the repair counter, which naturally wasn't open Sunday. mad.gif" border="0

I don't know about lenses, but Black Diamond makes LED headlamps with four (or more?) led "bulbs". Instead of using an LED bulb in the heavy Petzl Zoom, why not save weight and achieve redundancy by strapping two or three Tikkas to your head.

Three options here I think:

1. Build your own LED matrix, I looked at this and it's a little pricey, not for the LEDs but for the matrix/wiring thing to hold them. You could convert any headlamp to LED. If you've got good soldering/electrical skills this might be reasonable. A google search will find you plenty of suppliers

2. Use a Petzl Duo with a halogen in one side and an LED matrix in the other side. They'll start marketing these soon, it's too good of an idea not to. In the mean time I'd be you can modify one to accept an LED matrix, possibly the Princeton Tec retro-fit modules (I have one of these in my P-tec solo and they're about the same brightness as a Tikka).

3. BD makes a few lamps with LED, I think one of them has like 6 LEDs (I've never really looked at them, just glanced at a few).

I bought the BD SpaceShot for my Rockies trip and I used it to approach murchison falls. After hiking for a while I realized I could get by with just the LED, which provides just enough light to see where you are going.

So far I think this is the best headlamp I've ever owned, I previously used the Petzl Zoom and Micro. The fact that it has two bulbs (one halogen and one LED, plus an optional Xenon bulb and NiCad rechargable battery and also spare power made it the only choice for me). The only annoying thing is the external battery supply, but you get used to it and it helps save precious battery life.

Dan E.

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Larson:
At present time which headlamp out there is the longest lasting / best illuminating

Dan, I don't know you, but by judging from your posts, YOU SUCK!

I mean, are you retarded, or what? Obviously a headlamp that is dimmer will tend to last longer. And brightest? "well, the headlamp I found attatched to the from of my car seems to be the brightest I've found. Hell of a attery, but sure good for those winter ascents of Rainier!" In my field of study, we call this a poorly-posed problem. In laymans terms, it's just a dumb question.

dave

I will add my two cents worth on the headlamp issue...

I have one of those small petzl lamps.. the micro? When I first started using it, I was jealous of all my older freinds who had bigger beams... stupid joke. At first, I thought it was stupid dim. But then I thought about how many times I'd been able to do what I needed in twighlight or moonlight, leading me to the realization it doesnt matter how much light your lamp puts out 'cause your eyes adjust anyways! Ok ok, yeah, a brighter lamp is a little better, but when I think about how many times I've thrown my lamp in my pack going for a day of cragging thinking, "it small. Why not?" and been glad I took it along vs. the number of times I've cursed my lamp for being dim (very few times), I realize a lightweight, dim, low power, long lasting, dependable, easy to work with lamp is the best. If I loose mine or it stolen (I recently reduced my insurance deducable to $4.20), I'll replace it with one of those new BD LSD headlamps.

And one final tip: I put a little slip of thin cardboard/paper in front of one of the contacts in my battery casing to prevent unexpected light failure. Then I put a small piece of tape over the lense to remind my dumb-ass about the paper.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: max ]

quote:

Originally posted by dan e:
I bought the BD SpaceShot for my Rockies trip and I used it to approach murchison falls. After hiking for a while I realized I could get by with just the LED, which provides just enough light to see where you are going.

So far I think this is the best headlamp I've ever owned, I previously used the Petzl Zoom and Micro. The fact that it has two bulbs (one halogen and one LED, plus an optional Xenon bulb and NiCad rechargable battery and also spare power made it the only choice for me). The only annoying thing is the external battery supply, but you get used to it and it helps save precious battery life.

Dan E.

Great idea, but FYI, the SpaceShot with batteries is heavier than a Zoom and a Tikka combined (both w/batteries). I have the latter setup and they both fit on my head w/o helmet.

Another FYI, off the topic: Zipka works w/helmet (Petzl Ecrin) very well.

I bought a conversion kit for my Duo. The low beam is a single LED, and the halogen is now 4.5v instead of 6v. The halogen is just as bright as before, the LED is about half the brightness of the previous incadescent - but still provides about 20 feet of light. I find I need to switch to the halogen more frequently for route finding, but the LED is fine for night hiking on the trail or snow.

I did need to adjust to the different color of the LED though... The conversion cost $20.

Tom

quote:

Great idea, but FYI, the SpaceShot with batteries is heavier than a Zoom and a Tikka combined (both w/batteries). I have the latter setup and they both fit on my head w/o helmet.

Weight was not a concern when I bought the Space Shot. I wanted maximum brightness and battery life, to use for climbing at night and or extended winter trips. This is something the Petzl Zoom can not offer.

Besides I have my Tikka for when I want to go light! smile.gif" border="0

Dan E.

Here's an excerpt of an e-mail I got from Princeton Tec this morning:

We do have a new headlamp called the Switchback in which you can choose between using LED’s or a dual-filament low-high output bulb. You can opt to use it with 2AA or it comes with a 4 C cell battery pack you can plug into it. They should be shipping within the next month