[TR] Washington Pass - Birthday Tour & Kangaroo Temple Couloir 4/29/2007

Good2Go

Trip: Washington Pass - Birthday Tour & Kangaroo Temple Couloir

Date: 4/29/2007

Trip Report:

Warmed up on the Birthday Tour. Overcast skies kept the snow crusty pretty much all the way around. Beautiful views made it worthwhile, nonetheless. That, and occasional glimpses of the Kangaroo Temple Coolie getting sun. We accessed the KTC via the skier's left trending couloir that joins at the top. Skinned the first half and then kicked steps in perfect snow the rest of the way up. Snow on the way down was perfect corn and butter slush. In hindsight, we shoulda been lapping that baby all day.

Pics: http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=271860602103.700068508403.1177975086629&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0

Gear Notes:

Harscheisen recommended for the Birthday Tour.

Approach Notes:

Parking at Blue Lake is tight, and nonexistent at the hairpin. We wound up parking about a quarter mile W of the hairpin and then skinned back to the WA Pass sign, where we started a gradually ascending traverse toward the BL basin. Worked great, no hitchhiking required.

Also, the main entrance to the Hairpin Couloir is icy/runneled. An axe might be handy if you plan to go that way. Didn't look like anybody had hit it yet this year.

Edited by Good2Go

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still not working. This is the message I got:

"The link you are using is no longer valid. If this link was sent to you in an email and you would like to view the photos, you will need to contact the album owner and have them share the album using the Gallery's share feature."

How do I post an image (in this case a few jpg's)? I've read the faq, and I've even posted a pic before, but I can't seem to get it to work this time (which is why I resorted to the non-functioning link in the first place). Pathetic, I know.