Dear Abby: tree cutting confession (sort of)

Bigtree

Dear Abby,

I was harbouring thoughts yesterday about cutting down an apple tree in my back yard. The tree is old and decadent and long past its prime. Oh yeah, it also produces dry starchy apples - blech. On two occasions I made a move for my Stihl 034 but chickened out and grabbed a beer instead afraid that someone with far purer motivations than myself and certainly one more in tune with the environmental values of our time would hear my saw and report me for unauthorised tree euthanasia.

Worse than the horrendous fine I might incur from the local Victoria city council, my biggest fear was that I would be banned from climbing in Squamish for ever once those pure souls learned of my transgressions.

What should I do - I'm so confused?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard cutting down trees in squamish is not in least frowned uponed.

Not if you have ""deep roots" in "Old Squamish", and close ties with some significant community members, including a couple of members of Council" and certainly not if you are a card carrying disciple of David Suzuki (he's kinda the Al Gore of the north except smarter 'cause he's a scientist you know).

...I triple grafted my tree so I get different apples on one tree.

A multi-cultural apple tree - very cool. What kind/variety of apples did you go with? I've got robust one that produces fujian and the other that is the focus of my angst is unknown to me (produces a large yellow apple).

...I triple grafted my tree so I get different apples on one tree.

A multi-cultural apple tree - very cool. What kind/variety of apples did you go with? I've got robust one that produces fujian and the other that is the focus of my angst is unknown to me (produces a large yellow apple).

King, Northern Spy, Akane were grafted along with Cole's Quince which didn't take.

Trees are the enemy. The bas%#@s are reclaiming the Chief as we sit here, doing nothing.

Exactly. Look at pics of the Chief prior to the old fire that burnt up the face (I can't remember how far back that was) and you'll see how weed-like hemlock, pine and spruce really are.