Defend yourself with a gun- go to prison?

catbirdseat

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats really funny is arch thinks I am going to stop responding to her.

What is real funny is your looking 2. I know Arch doesn't want to see your crap but its funny. Kevboner really don't act like you care we are just a bunch of 0's and 1's in your life.

OK, here's the scenario:

You're a 60 year old man hiking with a heavy backpack full of ammo. After 10 miles, you encounter Batboy:

427133249_e5b196e2f6_o.jpg

You

a) Fire a warning round into the leg of another hiker, then run.

b) Echo locate your ass outta there as fast as you can.

c) Puff up your chest and yell "Whachoo guano do?"

d) Empty your clip into the screeching little fucker's head until the surrounding virgin snow, conveniently provided by a passing film crew, runs red with his blood.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

OK, here's the scenario:

You're a 60 year old man hiking with a heavy backpack full of ammo. After 10 miles, you encounter Batboy:

427133249_e5b196e2f6_o.jpg

You

a) Fire a warning round into the leg of another hiker, then run.

b) Echo locate your ass outta there as fast as you can.

c) Puff up your chest and yell "Whachoo guano do?"

d) Empty your clip into the screeching little fucker's head until the surrounding virgin snow, conveniently provided by a passing film crew, runs red with his blood.

you forgot

E. let the little f'ng bat person have lunch on you f'ng neck.

What is real funny is your looking 2. I know Arch doesn't want to see your crap but its funny. Kevboner really don't act like you care we are just a bunch of 0's and 1's in your life.

I’m a really trying to make sense of this statement. By 2, do you mean two? And what’s with the 0’s and 1’s?

I’m a really trying to make sense of this statement. By 2, do you mean two? And what’s with the 0’s and 1’s?

:lmao: :lmao:

The thing with Arch is making you look Two. The O's and 1's means we are just a bunch of fricking binary codes to you. Who cares.

Maybe if he shot him they wouldn't fell in.

MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK - A frantic search is under way for two people who were swept away in the fast-moving Ipsut Creek in Mt. Rainier National Park.

The park's Lee Taylor says three people in their 40s were hiking along Carbon Road near the Ipsut Campground Monday morning around 9 o'clock. The trio then tried to cross a log over Ipsut Creek when one person fell in and was quickly swept away. A second person jumped in to help, but they was also carried downstream.

The third person ran for help.

Two Mt. Rainier National Park staff were on the scene with two more staff members rushing to the site. The Pierce County Swift Water Rescue team is helping, as is the Guardian One helicopter from the King County Sheriff

The freak is going to wear out his refresh button

Kind of like you wearing out your underwear? Word on the street is your underwear needs refreshing.

alright lovers, get a room already.

but with the attack thing: dude's getting charged by dogs. dude's maybe freaked out? who knows, we weren't there. he fires gun, dogs run away, ok, whew, some relief, but here comes enraged owner charging him even after knowing guy has gun. shit, what to do? frightened, man. (i'm glad you all are such fearless cowboys that you'd be all calm and calculating about shooting him this way and that!)

how far away was assailant? we don't know. did homeboy keep running at him after getting shot? we don't know. seems like he stayed up for a moment at least since all three shots went into chest, right? any evidence he shot him after he was down?

shit man, some lunatic charges you after he knows you have a gun, you've got every right to defend your ass, if this is indeed the way it all went down.

one witness, circumstantial evidence, can't convict, man.

how far away was assailant? we don't know. did homeboy keep running at him after getting shot? we don't know. seems like he stayed up for a moment at least since all three shots went into chest, right? any evidence he shot him after he was down?

The answers to these questions are covered in the articles linked on the first post.

The freak is going to wear out his refresh button

Kind of like you wearing out your underwear? Word on the street is your underwear needs refreshing.

alright lovers, get a room already.

but with the attack thing: dude's getting charged by dogs. dude's maybe freaked out? who knows, we weren't there. he fires gun, dogs run away, ok, whew, some relief, but here comes enraged owner charging him even after knowing guy has gun. shit, what to do? frightened, man. (i'm glad you all are such fearless cowboys that you'd be all calm and calculating about shooting him this way and that!)

shit man, some lunatic charges you after he knows you have a gun, you've got every right to defend your ass, if this is indeed the way it all went down.

one witness, circumstantial evidence, can't convict, man.

What about just pointed the gun at the charging man? Without firing first. Get his attention first. Just a thought.

Again we don't know. I can only presume that the gun was at least visible.

From what was said of the victim, he was prone to flying into blind rages. He may have been in a state completely devoid of reason. Again, the judge ruled that none of this could be presented to the jury.

Again we don't know. I can only presume that the gun was at least visible.

From what was said of the victim, he was prone to flying into blind rages. He may have been in a state completely devoid of reason. Again, the judge ruled that none of this could be presented to the jury.

Someone had a good attorney.

He just stood there, mute as he let the dog attack me. I kicked in it's direction to keep it from biting me. I managed to scare it (not sure if I actually struck it). At that point, I would of continued at a run, but I was completely out of breath. The man charged me with his fists raised. He stood there threatening me, while all I could do was gasp. If I had had a gun I would have shot the bastard.

I have a right to run through a public park without being attacked by someone's dog and then by the owner who fails to control it. All I was doing was minding my own business.

Sounds like the man got angry, but did he actually threaten you? He certainly didn't harm you. You would have had no justification to do anything to him, really, much less shoot him.

You do have a right to run through a park without being attacked by a dog. That's what civil suits and laws are for, both of which you could have levied on the man had you chosen to do so. Had he actually threatened you, that is a crime also. Off leash fines in Seattle are $500; enough to make any dog owner think twice about letting aggropoodle run around free again. But you chose to do none of the above, so the jerk's probably still out there, messing with joggers.

Next time you have a run in with a similar prick, and it sounds like he was every bit of that, I'd suggest doing something about it legally to stop the behavior rather than endulging in Dirty Harry fantasies. Carry a cell, and be ready to lower the boom when needed.

why don't you replace CBS in the above scenario, and put one of your kids, under the age of 7 in that picture...or your wife...I woulda pulled the trigger on the dog...fuck your lawsuit...

It seems to me if you had a gun you could pull it aim it at the dog and scream at the owner, "call your dog off." Obviously you're threatening to shoot the dog.

Shooting the owner is totally wrong unless the owner has his own weapon he's threatening you with.

Suppose you have hiked 10 miles. You are a 60 year old man and you are tired. You are wearing a pack, so you can't run.

A man is running at full speed towards you screaming, "I'm going to fucking KILL YOU". His fists are raised. You have a gun in your hands. You have already shown the man that you have a gun. He's still coming, not slowing down. He says he's going to kill you. You can't believe he doesn't stop. You can't run. If he reaches you, he might kill you with your own gun. What do you do?

i agree with you CBS...however, i don't carry a firearm for the specific reason that if i don't have it, i won't use it and will be forced to find another solution...I would find it hard to live with another's death on my hands...

Here is a wake up call for you--you don't get to shoot people for scaring you. You are alive an unharmed. That makes it pretty obvious that you didn't have the right to shoot that person.

I'm on the fence about where I stand on this case but I will say that I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Do you really think you have to actually be hurt to defend yourself? What would it take? Do you have to be struck/stabbed/shot before you can shoot?

I think that there are certainly cases where threat is enough to defend yourself.

Shoot the guy in the legs or stomach, why go for the chest?

Because if you made the decision to "pull the trigger", its for keeps...if i pull the trigger, whatever it is that is on the receiveing end is going to go down dead, period....

What about just pointed the gun at the charging man? Without firing first. Get his attention first. Just a thought.

yeah a good idea, but it seems evident that the charging fellow already knew he had a gun, right?

a person has a right to defend themselves against a charging man. it's not the responsibility of the person being attacked to figure out how to figure out the attacker's personal needs and emotional hang-ups here. it's not necessarily a counseling session when someone's charging you.

i'm wondering how good the detective work was. i would think it would be beneficial to try to establish the shooter's and shootee's positions, distance between them, time between shots, attacker's distance from his camp, his footprints leading to his location of demise (was his gait a run?), exact location of gun shot entries into his body. distance between them seems crucial.

it's pretty tough when you have one witness, and he's the one accused of murder.

realize it could have been the other way around: old man charged by enraged camper who overpowers him, takes away his gun and shoots him.

There is a lot of unknowns with this and it is silly to sit at a computer and try to say what happened. That said, given what we know I'm OK with this guy going to jail for murder. I don't have a problem walking around the woods armed, that's your business.

The real kick is that if you are going to own/carry a gun you need to be prepared to make some good judgment calls and realize that that if you screw up you might shoot someone that should be alive. If you fuck up than, than your going to jail. In this case I'd make an example of this guy and send him to jail for a good long while. Might make other people think twice before taking their gun out while on nature walk.

He just stood there, mute as he let the dog attack me. I kicked in it's direction to keep it from biting me. I managed to scare it (not sure if I actually struck it). At that point, I would of continued at a run, but I was completely out of breath. The man charged me with his fists raised. He stood there threatening me, while all I could do was gasp. If I had had a gun I would have shot the bastard.

I have a right to run through a public park without being attacked by someone's dog and then by the owner who fails to control it. All I was doing was minding my own business.

Sounds like the man got angry, but did he actually threaten you? He certainly didn't harm you. You would have had no justification to do anything to him, really, much less shoot him.

You do have a right to run through a park without being attacked by a dog. That's what civil suits and laws are for, both of which you could have levied on the man had you chosen to do so. Had he actually threatened you, that is a crime also. Off leash fines in Seattle are $500; enough to make any dog owner think twice about letting aggropoodle run around free again. But you chose to do none of the above, so the jerk's probably still out there, messing with joggers.

Next time you have a run in with a similar prick, and it sounds like he was every bit of that, I'd suggest doing something about it legally to stop the behavior rather than endulging in Dirty Harry fantasies. Carry a cell, and be ready to lower the boom when needed.

why don't you replace CBS in the above scenario, and put one of your kids, under the age of 7 in that picture...or your wife...I woulda pulled the trigger on the dog...fuck your lawsuit...

If you weren't so fat you could just wrastle them down to the ground and grind their face into the dirt til they come up with a cauliflower ear.

If you weren't so fat you could just wrastle them down to the ground and grind their face into the dirt til they come up with a cauliflower ear.

why you gotta be so mean?

There is a lot of unknowns with this and it is silly to sit at a computer and try to say what happened. That said, given what we know I'm OK with this guy going to jail for murder. I don't have a problem walking around the woods armed, that's your business.

The real kick is that if you are going to own/carry a gun you need to be prepared to make some good judgment calls and realize that that if you screw up you might shoot someone that should be alive. If you fuck up than, than your going to jail. In this case I'd make an example of this guy and send him to jail for a good long while. Might make other people think twice before taking their gun out while on nature walk.

Why would this person's mistake (if it were one and he is "made an example of") affect my decision to carry a gun? I am out in the woods and out fishing on my own fairly frequently. I don't go without a gun. I don't give a shit if other people fuck up and go to jail for shooting someone; I'll always carry my gun with me on my "nature walks".

why you gotta be so mean?

It's the only way I know how to show you love. Except by feeding you Cheetos :moondance: