Tommy's Nightclub

Gary_Yngve

I live across the street from Tommy's Nightclub in the U-District, and for the third time in the past year I believe, there were shots fired when over a hundred drunken thugs emptied out of the place Sunday night. The same clientele is also responsible for what my roommate believes was an attempted rape, countless fistfights, and regular loitering and noise-making in the wee hours of the morning.

What can I legally do? My opinion is that if their clientele are that out of control after they close for the night, and they are unwilling are unable to reduce the noise and violence, then they should be shut down. (For that matter, I don't think it's any local U-District residents who are attending.)

We've called the police, we've talked with the apartment manager, we've posted notes in the elevator to get more residents to call in and complain, we've talked with Tommy's, etc. I spent half of yesterday writing letters to City Council and TheDaily.

What to do next? I'm still trying to find a way to let UW parents hear about it. Civil lawsuit?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree on MOVE, but I'll probably move anyway within the next year.

I recognize that I can't expect perfect peace and quiet living in the University District, but I think the noise and violence that has become all to frequent doesn't belong at all. Clearly the bar is making a fortune from selling booze, and it doesn't give a damn about the neighborhood going to hell.

Things like obscure laws/ordinances, ways to take them to court, etc., are just what I'm looking for.

Although I'd really love to have a water cannon mounted on the roof...

You can expect peace and quiet in the U-district just not on anywhere on the Ave. I lived up at 11th and 56th for about a year and it was great. Walking distance to UW, Safeway was on the walk home so shopping was a breeze and very quiet. The area right around Tommy's is just about the noisiest sketchiest part though.

The violence is another story though and doesn't belong anywhere. Unluckily no good ideas for you. The fire ordinances are a good catch though. As an offshoot you might look into what is/has been done to try and shut down the Blue Moon tavern and see if you could tap some of the pressure being applied there to Tommies. (As memory serves the Blue Moon is getting pressured for drugs, violence, etc. though I don't think that's the whole story?) Anyone know more about that?

Blue Moon was one of the first bars I ever went to when I first moved here. I don't think I had anything to do with the shutdown though....

I do know getting drugs and same sex partners was easy to do there. The place probably had some health code violations--it was filthy! Good beer though.

Gary, I know you are a msart guy (99.9 percentile in higher math) but you sound like a retard. Why would you even complain? You chose to live across the street from a nightclub.

I used to live in a shitty apartment in Burien. I understood that it came with a lot of free mariachi music. Such is life.

Why would you even complain? You chose to live across the street from a nightclub.

The noise from the nightclub doesn't bother me one bit. It's the afterparty in the streets at 2AM with gunfire that bothers me. As far as I'm aware, that's not standard fare for a nightclub.

Not only that, but there are generally some laws around quiet hours, aren't there.

And as for moving in next to a bar--hey, he is renting an apt. What, you think someone should case the place every night for a week to see if there is a party night on your block? I think it is reasonable to expect quiet after 2am. Just saying...

Here's what I think you should be doing (in addition to the "obscure bylaw" things you might purse):

1. Get in touch with the police department's representative for your area. I don't know that Seattle has such a thing, but in Bellingham, if you call the police and ask for the York neighborhood representative, you'll get a single person who's been active in that area for a while and knows what's going on there.

2. Get police reports for these incidences (as well as anything else tied to the offending bar.) It's all about documentation.

3. Get in touch with the liquor control board and make a formal complaint including the police reports from #2 above.

Commentary:

1. Yes, moving in next to a bar, one should expect noise at 2 am. But, never should someone be expected to tolerate violence and people breaking the law simply because the source was there first or it's "that sort of neighborhood".

2. This isn't just an issue about Gary moving in next to a noisy/dangerous place. It's also about the rights of the landlord, the property owner, to see that businesses near his/her property be held accountable for their actions. Bad neighborhood equals low property values.

3. And yes, the bar is accountable. The liquor control board (that is, the State legislature) has mandated that liquor sales be allowed in places that can control the aftermath. If they can't control the crowds and associated violence, they should get their license yanked.

Mr. Lucky lost its liquor license last year for 180 days because they couldn't control the people who were its customers. If you can show that there has been as many lawless acts as at Mr. Lucky's you stand a chance of shutting them down too.

Step one is to collect data on police calls and arrests over the past two years. Step two is to start writing the newspapers to get public opinion on your side.

Edited by catbirdseat

Yeah Gary, quit being such a whiner.

A bullet fired from the club's parking lot struck him in his spine, leaving the aspiring car mechanic a quadriplegic. A trial is set for November.

My tolerance for unlawful (or unsafe) behavior is slim. I do my part not to hurt others, they can do the same.