Best way to carry pickets while leading?

wannabe

I soon will be acquiring some two and three foot pickets to use while leading some steeper snow pitches. Since they are obviously too long to clip to a harness gear loop, what is the preferred method for carrying them so they are accessible while leading but not dangling down by your legs (or collecting them while following for that matter)?

I had envisioned some kind of quiver on my pack as if I were shooting arrows, but that may not be the most practical. :/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've carried a 3-foot picket for years under the strapping loops on the side of my pack. However, I've concluded its unnecessarily long for the Cascades (e.g., tends to catch/snag on brush and crap on bushwacks and trail approaches). As such, I've recently bought a few 2 footers and will pack them in the same way instead.

Lots O' Pickets:

1826Chakachamna_097resize.jpg

This guy 'sorta looks like toms hanks in "Cast Away"

About those pickets:

- Long pickets = overkill. Other people have said this, but I thought I'd just second that opinion.

- 2' pickets: From mid pitch stuff (you plan on using them), clip them to the harness, clipped at the second or third hole. For glacier stuff, girth hitch one end with a 3'-4' runner, clip the other end to the other end of the runner, and wear quiver style.

- Respectfully, I don't think Don Serl knows what he's talking about here. Ok, I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, but I would say pickets are useful as running pro and I'm sure as hell not going to leave my ice tools as gear mid pitch.

While I wait for elephantitis to grow my steep snow balls to the size of Don's, I will continue to carry pickets. I would like to think that my tools are just as good, but my layman's observations tell me they are too curvy and bendy to really distribute forces well. It's a lot easier to bail off a $15 piece of aluminium and maybe there's a lesson here . . .

If you throw a piece of webbing across the shoulder and clip the picket in the 3rd hole or so and then clip it to your shoulder webbing, it stays well out of the way. I don't know about cascades snow - but up here there are times when I can barely pound my picket in - yet it's not ice so screws won't work. Flukes would be a true pain to place.

As for slowing you down... my wife is a beginner alpinist and doesn't like to solo steep snow. Last year we climbed a long snow route with a few others who chose to solo while she & I roped up and placed pickets for close to 1500' of steep snow. We reached the summit 20 minutes after the party that was soloing did; thus I'd argue that if you have decent technique the use of pickets won't slow you down too much.