Sumallo Cirque

Necronomicon

Mike and I headed out to the N. Face of Rideout, hoping to climb some ice. The start for the colouir proper was not in, so we went up a gully to the left (-5.5?) for about 500' before we ran out of ice/route. We didn't need a rope for the terrain we encountered (a few ice steps and hard snow). We got to a large bench above the -5.0 gully, but could not have rapped in with one rope. There was an ice line forming to our left, but it was looking grim. Had we gone that way, we would have had to contend with a gnarly traverse higher up to get back into -5.0.

The upper colouir looks to be in fine shape, but the middle gully does not look to be in completely, not to mention the initial gully, which had a good amount of water running under thin, grey ice. We encountered a significant amount of avalanche debris aproaching the route, my feeling is that the recent snow didn't stick.

We rapped the route from a sling and bollards. I broke off my adze chopping the final bollard, after I hacked into my shin. Anyone have an adze for a Cassin Anteres?

1000' of hard neve slab back to the river, and the final kick in the crotch through copious Devil's Club up the clear cut to the road.

In all, this area sucks, and there are no good climbs worth doing out there. Access is a major issue. I will never go back.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you even bother posting this Necronomicon? No one wants to waste their time in there. Anyone who goes there is a total pussy and can't climb anything anyway.

Boy o' boy did my 4x4 hc truck have one hell of a time getting across those tank traps! Dru, did they recently gut the road? We had to park far from the climb and do some seriously steep grunting up the road. The crux of the area is a 60 degree devil's club slope up to the mtn! We almost had to abandon the truck! Not worth going back. No wonder Maxim quit climbing.

In summary, everyone and their dogs should go to the Ridout-Payne cirque and stay off my secret projects [big Grin] No wait, there is nothing else to do in BC, so everyone should take up knitting and 5 pin bowling cause the whole province has been climbed out by Serl and Uncle Fred [geek]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

Originally posted by jordop:

[laf]
Who said I didn't have tools?
[Confused]

you did

I can ski, you can't
[Razz]
I can ski uphill

Skiing chix better than ice chix? Probably
[Roll Eyes]

Ski bunnies cause overpopulation and most have Whistler diseases or the backcountry variation smell of polypro even after they shower
[Roll Eyes]

Ice climbin' chix rock my dome
[big Drink]
especially when they get me drunk
[big Drink]
or in the Rampart Creek sauna
[big Grin]
So Dru How many times have you jumped into the creek next to the sauna with a little lady?

quote:

[laf]
[Confused]

you did

I can ski, you can't
[Razz]
I can ski uphill

[Roll Eyes]

Ski bunnies cause overpopulation and most have Whistler diseases or the backcountry variation smell of polypro even after they shower [Roll Eyes]

Ice climbin' chix rock my dome [big Drink] especially when they get me drunk [big Drink] or in the Rampart Creek sauna [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Skisports:

quote:

quote:

[laf]
[Confused]

you did

I can ski, you can't
[Razz]
I can ski uphill

[Roll Eyes]

Ski bunnies cause overpopulation and most have Whistler diseases or the backcountry variation smell of polypro even after they shower
[Roll Eyes]

[big Drink]
[big Drink]
[big Grin]
So Dru How many times have you jumped into the creek next to the sauna with a little lady?

Ow...

quote:

[Roll Eyes]

[big Drink]
[big Drink]
[big Grin]

[laf]

You just dissin' the ski bunnies cause you can't ski? [Razz][laf]

[ 11-26-2002, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]