Orange Alien Replacement

catbirdseat

I broke the trigger wires on my orange Alien for the second time in two months. This last time was the result of the cam walking into a wider section of crack and inverting when it was fallen on. As you know, Aliens do not have stops to prevent inversion.

This got me to thinking about what cam would or could replace the orange Alien. Zeros don't go that large and neither do BD C3 cams. Metolius TCUs are a candidate, but aren't quite as good in shallow horizontal cracks.

Any ideas?

It would be cool if WC Zeros added a couple more larger sizes.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not a C4? Orange is a 0.5 or 0.75, right?
Assume the placement is a shallow horizontal with a sharp edge and a fall on a C4 would kink the stem. The C4 would hold without breaking, but would have to be retired because of damage to the stem. What would you use in this situation? A solid stem Friend with a Gunks tie-off would be a good choice, perhaps.

You are making an example of a specialized placement for which Aliens were ideal.

For any horizontal, I would be more than happy to place a U-stem DMM cam.

I wouldn't retire a cam because of a kinked stem (I have many kinky cams). If there was fraying, I would retire it.

Even then, I would rather risk damaging a cam in lieu of tying off a forged friend short.

i would get a green camalot. think about all your climbing that you will do. how often will you place that piece in a very shallow horizontal slot, VS all other placement types. Even if you did place the green Camalot in a horizontal placement, and DID fall on it, and that did bend the stem, and you did replace it....

it just seems more logical to buy some pro based upon how you'll use it 99% of the time, not some very unlkely scenario.

If you were constantly placing that sized piece in shallow horizontal cracks, and falling on it, then get a tricam.

Most people use the term double for a piece that overlaps substantially in size with another piece. The orange TCU and orange alien have no overlap.

Did I say orang alien? My bad...I ment to say RED alien. I have used my red alien as a back up to my orange TCU (actually quad cams, I cant stand TCU's) for years. Sorry.

I believe my question was what cam to get if I DID NOT want to replace the Alien with another Alien. My orange unit is in fact repairable.

I won't be buying any new Aliens any time soon. They need to improve the design by putting in cam stops. A friend of mine sold off all his Aliens for this reason. I won't go that far, but I think lack of stops is a weakness for use in free climbing. It's probably not such an issue in aid climbing, for which Aliens were designed.

I'm taking this incident as a learning experience and intend to be more careful to properly inspect my cam placements before trusting them.

Edited by catbirdseat

I understood the question, I still think your ONLY option is to replace an apple with an apple and an alien with an alien, then again maybe you'd like an orange or a side of hashbrowns :)

Forget adding stops to the aliens, its a design used only when the cam isn't properly loaded and doesn't even work if you aren't lucky and the cam jams on the way out of the crack.

I guess I just worry about placing the cam tight enough or slotting it like a nut that I don't care about having stops. If my placement is undercammed I consider it marginal whether its an alien or BD and don't plan on the BD sticking just cause of the stops.

Truly I don't think you've got an option here. Zero's don't go big enough and while I have lots of TCU's they don't flex and grip the same as the aliens for horizontals. I guess I just see all the crap thats happened with CCH as total BS by a lot of people who don't know what they are doing. Compared with 90% of the garbage I led on back in the day even the "defective" aliens kick way more ass, I'm just sick of people dumping on them probably because I luv em soooo much :)