BEST SIMUL-CLIMBS ON ROCK

kevbone

The simul-climb thread obviously promted this.

I was in squamish on 9/11/01. My partners and I headed up to climb Deirdre. I wanted to climb it, being the most popular climb in western Canada. Nobody was on it. The plan was to simul up to the base of the dihedral, we ended up simul-climbing the entire route in one pitch. 3 of us on 1 rope. It went by so fast. The book calls it 7 pitches. Try 1.

Same partners. We simuled Solar Slab at redrocks, also 3 climbers on 1 rope. We did it in 2 pitches. Book calls it 17 pitches. We did it in about 35 minutes.

Don’t fall!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simul-climb thread obviously promted this.

I was in squamish on 9/11/01. My partners and I headed up to climb Deirdre. I wanted to climb it, being the most popular climb in western Canada. Nobody was on it. The plan was to simul up to the base of the dihedral, we ended up simul-climbing the entire route in one pitch. 3 of us on 1 rope. It went by so fast. The book calls it 7 pitches. Try 1.

Same partners. We simuled Solar Slab at redrocks, also 3 climbers on 1 rope. We did it in 2 pitches. Book calls it 17 pitches. We did it in about 35 minutes.

Don’t fall!

Consider leaving the rope behind. Solo climbing without a rope provides a unmatched commitment to an expereince of freedom. And depending upon your simul-climb partner, it may be safer.

Simuling on Stuart can suck ass due to rope drag. But it definitely is a nice place.

Infinite Bliss is pretty damn good for simuling. There's long runs between the more difficult sections. The bolt density keeps the danger at whatever level you choose and the direct and slabby nature keep rope drag to a minimum. You don't even need to double up the 60.

gorilla_beating_chest.gif

Simuling on Stuart can suck ass due to rope drag. But it definitely is a nice place.

Infinite Bliss is pretty damn good for simuling. There's long runs between the more difficult sections. The bolt density keeps the danger at whatever level you choose and the direct and slabby nature keep rope drag to a minimum. You don't even need to double up the 60.

gorilla_beating_chest.gif

The climbs I simuled are like 5.7 and 5.6, not too much chest thumping there.

Nice touch! A true chestbeater would have listed the grades as 5.6 and 5.5 :D.

Solar Slab in 35 minutes (was that from the base or the terrace) is some serious speed climbing. Did you use track spikes?

Are you prepared for the thump?

From the base! With only one stop about 4 pitches from the top, it was constant climbing, my partners all climbed very fast.

About a year prior, sat at the base of SS and literaly watched a guy solo the entire climb from base to base in one hour.