Vern S...

RuMR

For those of you who know him, apparently he has died. At smith...anyone have any details???? I can't believe this...

I'd only known him for a year or so...but he was a character and a half...wtf...i remember the last time i talked to him we talked about our respective kids and what they thought of climbing...

markd, you have any info????

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about Vern last week. We climbed together a bit 6 years ago or so when he was teaching at Whitman. He was making regular trips from Walla Walla to the Tieton. We lost touch until last year, when we traded emails again. We talked about getting together to climb, but it never happened. I was going to make it a point to hook up in '07, hoping to tap into his infectious enthusiasm.

My heart goes out to his family, especially his young son.

This is all I could find - Sad Business.

I haven't seen any firm confirmation that it is actually Vern though.

http://www.democratherald.com/articles/2006/12/10/news/local/1loc_07briefs.txt

In brief: Corvallis man found dead near Smith Rock

SMITH ROCK — Oregon State Police on Saturday found the body of a 45-year-old man from Corvallis near Smith Rock in Central Oregon.

The police were searching the area after being told by Corvallis police that the man was suicidal and had been headed for the Smith Rock area.

Police did not identify the man and said they had no more information to release.

Sad! A really sharp fellow: Ph.D. in biology. I remember when he taught at PLU in the Division of Natural Sciences...I knew his lovely wife, Tara...The man was intense and beyond enthusiastic about life and climbing. I can't imagine what might lead to such tragedy.

Very sorry to hear about this.