so...ANOTHER REASON TO HATE THE GYMS...

RuMR

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the unheralded risks associated with the gyms that have pea gravel for landing pads: Silica dust is realeased en massa into the air. Silica has been called the "new" Asbestos for lung disease and carcinoma. Fun

Amorphous silica is inflammatory but not carcinogenic, while crystalline silica (quartz) is both. Particle size also changes biological activity. I'm unaware if pea gravel has been specifically studied for its silica content and related health risks... anyone else?

This CA-MRSA stuff is pretty scary. A friend of mine got it (sleeping with an infected person), and yes it does look like a big spider bite at first...then it gets really bad. He was in the hospital and went through treatment for months, and I guess like Herpes it never leaves your system completely. He still climbs indoors in Portland.

As a climbing gym owner it is even more scary. If this were to become an endemic problem specific to climbing gyms, it could ruin us.

I think gym managers can do alot to keep their gyms clean and sanitarty. Unfortunately alot of gyms don't because they have lazy employees working for minimum wage who won't clean bathrooms, etc.

However, cleaning all the holds every day would be impossible for any gym. We clean holds when we change routes out, but those holds are up for 3-4 months. So whay can you do? Not much really...to completely eliminate the risk of infection of any kind from touching the holds. Spray out shoes with disinfectant, wipe down fitness equipment, clean the floors and bathrooms, door handles, drinking fountain, etc. It is a daily struggle to keep a climbing gym clean.

All I can say is thank god we don't have pea gravel and wash your hands alot!

The gyms are a great way to get strong as hell. Just use common sense, oops im talking to climbers, when it comes to hygene. I have found that when I owned a gym and climbed or set routes on a semidaily basis that my climbing outside was better. If you use them the right way a gym can really be a benifit. It also breeds some scary things when these kids who are gym trained go out in the real world. Always learn from someone who knows. I also found that the more I worked on routes and climbed in the gym the more comfortable I became outdoors. Something to do with being stronger and my head being focused. You all know how your brain f***s with you when you are in a crux situation. I got to where I could just tell my head to shut up and climb wothout all the worry. So go tear it up at the gym, just wash up man.

This CA-MRSA stuff is pretty scary. A friend of mine got it (sleeping with an infected person), and yes it does look like a big spider bite at first...then it gets really bad. He was in the hospital and went through treatment for months, and I guess like Herpes it never leaves your system completely. He still climbs indoors in Portland.

As a climbing gym owner it is even more scary. If this were to become an endemic problem specific to climbing gyms, it could ruin us.

I think gym managers can do alot to keep their gyms clean and sanitarty. Unfortunately alot of gyms don't because they have lazy employees working for minimum wage who won't clean bathrooms, etc.

However, cleaning all the holds every day would be impossible for any gym. We clean holds when we change routes out, but those holds are up for 3-4 months. So whay can you do? Not much really...to completely eliminate the risk of infection of any kind from touching the holds. Spray out shoes with disinfectant, wipe down fitness equipment, clean the floors and bathrooms, door handles, drinking fountain, etc. It is a daily struggle to keep a climbing gym clean.

All I can say is thank god we don't have pea gravel and wash your hands alot!

Don't let little kids climb in street shoes either. Who knows what they walked through on the way to the gym.