"Tax Code More Progressive in 2004 than in 2000"

JayB

KK you made your point very clear: taxes suck and the reasons for arguing against this or that tax don't have to either make sense or be correct.

Jay: I would agree that a simpler tax code would have its advantages and that folks might understand and accept a capital gains tax over an estate tax - if that is what you are saying. But are you not making the same mistake that you so derisively ascribed to the "self annointed progressives" in your proposing we eliminate a huge body of tax incentives, credits, deductions etc. that have presumably been adopted at least in some cases for good reason?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully the electorate is composed elements other than fringe progressives/wingnuts.

If you are thinking it's composed of people who simplistically categorize others to make their worldviews easier to comprehend and manage I'm in total agreement! yellaf.gif

You certainly are.

Thankfully the electorate is composed elements other than fringe progressives/wingnuts.

If you are thinking it's composed of people who simplistically categorize others to make their worldviews easier to comprehend and manage I'm in total agreement! yellaf.gif

You certainly are.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

KK you made your point very clear: taxes suck and the reasons for arguing against this or that tax don't have to either make sense or be correct.

Jay: I would agree that a simpler tax code would have its advantages and that folks might understand and accept a capital gains tax over an estate tax - if that is what you are saying. But are you not making the same mistake that you so derisively ascribed to the "self annointed progressives" in your proposing we eliminate a huge body of tax incentives, credits, deductions etc. that have presumably been adopted at least in some cases for good reason?

Possibly, but my unsubstantiated hunch is that the sum-total of the positives - eliminating baroque tax-shelters, compliance costs, market distortions, etc -from making these changes would be substantially greater than negatives and result in both a higher tax yield and favor economic growth.

No tax on income below 20 thousand, X percent on 20-40 thousand, a bit more on 40-80 thousand, a bit more on 80-160 thousand, and so on. Deductibilty for health care expenses and retirement contributions - no deductions for anything else. Flat tax on capital gains from all asset classes and dividends.

Why not tax cap gains at same rates as income tax?