Legal Contracts question

archenemy

What exactly constitutes a legal document? Specifically, what about "release forms" that potential employees are asked to sign to allow background checks. I got one recently that said they could check my "standard and mode of living" and "general reputation" and a bunch of difuse sounding aspects of my life. Furthermore, they had a long paragraph in there saying I agree not to file any complaint or persue any suit against them if they misuse my information, libel or slander me (no kidding--it called that out), etc. etc.

I always get background checks done as a part of my work (pretty standard for my field within IT) and don't have a problem with it (that is, when they check criminal, credit, employment, education). But this last form seemed outrageous to me. Is a form like this actually a legally binding document?

I ended up crossing out the lines that I found unnacceptable and initialed/dated them. I was told that the company will not process anyone who changes this contract. I started to wonder if it really was a legal contract at all. Can one of you Legal Eagles help enlighten me here?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

don't have to be a lawyer to know that is total BS. unless you really need the job, tell them to stuff it.

I already did that.

But I'd really like to know more about the legal aspect of this.

I looked up contracts and saw that there are three requirements of a legal document, and this document meets all three. But certainly I should never waive my right to a complaint if something is mishandled, no? And even if that doesn't preclude me from actually complaining afterwards, what about beforehand (as I did).

Do I have any recourse about not having any say over this contract (if it really is one)? I was already hired on, I just refused bits and pieces of this paperwork?

Where is Judge Judy when I need her?

Actually, the company that does the search (and with whom I would have signed the contract) is COMSYS, a private company. But it is, indeed, asscovering at its most disgusting.

edited for clarity:

Comsys is the parent company

Sterling is the background search company

Edited by archenemy

I suppose it depends on the nature of the job they're asking you to do as well and who the client is. If it's a DoD or DoE contract job, then it's likely you'll have to suffer through having your life examined. If the job doesn't require a gov't clearance though I don't see why they should be allowed to pry. Not quite sure of the law though. But, hey, if you aren't guilty of anything it shouldn't bother you right? ;-) (NB, this is not an opinion I hold for those of you lacking a sarcasm gene)

If it's a DoD or DoE contract job, then it's likely you'll have to suffer through having your life examined. If the job doesn't require a gov't clearance though I don't see why they should be allowed to pry.

Clearances (at least the lower ones) aren't nearly that invasive. You can get a temporary with not much more than a credit/criminal records check.

What exactly constitutes a legal document? Specifically, what about "release forms" that potential employees are asked to sign to allow background checks. I got one recently that said they could check my "standard and mode of living" and "general reputation" and a bunch of difuse sounding aspects of my life. Furthermore, they had a long paragraph in there saying I agree not to file any complaint or persue any suit against them if they misuse my information, libel or slander me (no kidding--it called that out), etc. etc.

I always get background checks done as a part of my work (pretty standard for my field within IT) and don't have a problem with it (that is, when they check criminal, credit, employment, education). But this last form seemed outrageous to me. Is a form like this actually a legally binding document?

I ended up crossing out the lines that I found unnacceptable and initialed/dated them. I was told that the company will not process anyone who changes this contract. I started to wonder if it really was a legal contract at all. Can one of you Legal Eagles help enlighten me here?

this is total BS. thumbs_down.gif

Yeah, I was thinking more of the TS clearances and above.

Yes, I have had to get a full FBI background check for the airport.

But this is different. My issue is the company expecting me to give up my rights to complain if they do a shitty job or wrong me in some way.

I'll bet it's not legally binding. But I'm no lawyer (thank God).

Did they used to do that? Crazy.

I understand they don't really do that, but that's just more reason why that should not be included in something they ask people to sign.

I am surprised by how often I have to repeat that a background check is not a problem. Agreeing that I won't take action against a company that misuses my information is what I find unacceptable. If the form is not legally binding, then why require it? And why put people in an ethical bind by asking them to agree to something via a signature when they don't agree with the statement? Doesn't that seem wrong?