Broken carabiner

Blake

Some fellows at the SMoke bluffs today broke a BD hotwire carabiner on a very short fall. Probably no more than a 7 foot fall, with probably 30 feet of rope out. The biner broke at the top of the spine where it begins to bend. It was definitely not a "new biner" but looked like the ones on my (and most likely your) rack.

His next piece down caught him and he was ok.. but how common is this kinda thing? They weren't able to tell if the gate was open or not at the time of the fall. It didn't appear to be loaded over an edge.

-Blake

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru, i'm sure you would know the name of it. I was on Harmfull Health, next to Quarryman in teh SMoke bluffs, and they were about 30 feet to my right... i think it was an .11- trad line.

They seemed like squamish locals, one of them had just downclimbed Quarryman before they walked over to do the climb on which the carabiner snapped.

Some fellows at the SMoke bluffs today broke a BD hotwire carabiner on a very short fall. Probably no more than a 7 foot fall, with probably 30 feet of rope out. The biner broke at the top of the spine where it begins to bend. It was definitely not a "new biner" but looked like the ones on my (and most likely your) rack.

His next piece down caught him and he was ok.. but how common is this kinda thing? They weren't able to tell if the gate was open or not at the time of the fall. It didn't appear to be loaded over an edge.

-Blake [/quote

shit happens. cool story for the grandchildren. glad your alive. you get to climb another day. peace out. rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

Dru, i'm sure you would know the name of it. I was on Harmfull Health, next to Quarryman in teh SMoke bluffs, and they were about 30 feet to my right... i think it was an .11- trad line.

They seemed like squamish locals, one of them had just downclimbed Quarryman before they walked over to do the climb on which the carabiner snapped.

Health Hazard? 10a

I marvel at those that believe a biner dropped from a great height onto stone doesn't possibly affect its integrity.

I found a sling and some biners on the south apron below Wolf's Head in the Wind River Cirque, presumably dropped from high above. The sling I used climbing, the biners were relegated to putting camera, water bottle, etc., on belay on the pack.

Read Accidents in North American Mountaineering to get an idea of carabiner breakage rates. It is actually fairly common - probably the most common reported mode of actual gear failure rather than operator failure - though often operator error sets up the circumstance for gear failure (eg clove hitching to intermediate pieces when rope soloing).

I marvel at those that believe a biner dropped from a great height onto stone doesn't possibly affect its integrity.

I found a sling and some biners on the south apron below Wolf's Head in the Wind River Cirque, presumably dropped from high above. The sling I used climbing, the biners were relegated to putting camera, water bottle, etc., on belay on the pack.

OK - this bothers me... I can imagine the sling getting cut when it was landed on by the biners. Not only that, fabric and cordage is vunerable to things that can't be seen like acid damage etc.

I believe I have read about testing by BD of a bunch of booty biners (including ones that had been dropped) and the ones that passsed visual inspection tested out as good.

Read Accidents in North American Mountaineering to get an idea of carabiner breakage rates. It is actually fairly common - probably the most common reported mode of actual gear failure rather than operator failure - though often operator error sets up the circumstance for gear failure (eg clove hitching to intermediate pieces when rope soloing).
Why would someone do this? That doesn't strike me as a wise thing to do at all.

Catbird, are you asking why would somebody clove hitch intermediate pieces? Simple: they want to limit the distance they are likely to fall.

Yes, it will place greater strain on the gear and possibly on the climber's spine, but the greatest danger in many situations arises from the possiblity of hitting something during your fall.