[TR] S. Fork Clearwater River - The Fin

kurthicks

Climb: The Fin

Date of Climb: 10/14/2006

Trip Report:

For anyone first venturing into the South Fork of the Clearwater River, the eyes are inextricably drawn to a feature known as “The Fin.” The giant arête is posed directly across the river from Lightning Dome -- the same river that has kept less adventurous souls at bay. Apparently this incredible feature has seen only a handful of ascents, including a forced bivy near the summit.

201Dorsal_Fin-med.jpg

The Fin. sobo's photo

On Saturday, three of us from the WSU Alpine Club headed down to give it the old college try. Why not go when the days are short? Oh, let’s climb in a party of three with only one leader. Let’s be sure to get all the beta that there is…

Call John Crock..."oh there is one piton on route, it’s about 10 pitches"...Sweet! cantfocus.gif

An inflatable kayak took us across the river, though one could ford the frigid waters if the prospect of never feeling one’s netherparts again sounds like your idea of a good time. It turns out that the approach is pretty manageable. Soon enough we arrived at the notch that marks the start of the route. Here we roped up and I took off on the first lead.

3720IMG_0018-med.JPG

Kevin gears up at the base of the route.

We meandered up fairly full pitches on or very near the crest. We found the third pitch to be the crux; this is also where we found “the piton” that we had heard about. The route had everything including slabs (both clean and mossy), cracks (both splitter and dirty offwidths), bushes (both smooth and spikey) and a nice juggy roof that was surprisingly easy. The exposure was great, though not as much as one might expect.

3720IMG_0044-med.JPG

Justin on pitch 3

3720IMG_0081-med.JPG

Me bypassing the final Gendarme

We reached the top and took in the most amazing view I have seen to date in the South Fork canyon. A leisurely descent to the climber’s left down the gully took us to the river, which was crossed uneventfully once again, and the car.

3720IMG_0092-med.JPG

On the summit. Lightning Dome visible in lower left.

Approach Notes

3720IMG_0110-med.JPG

Gear Notes

One in-situ piton on route

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work, how does that chimney look up close.?

We missed it on the approach. I wanted to check it out but our ascent trail took us right to the start of the upper part... perhaps on the next trip across the river I will check it out.

There are a handful of short, but good looking cracks scattered about on that side of the river. worth a day of exploring for sure. pitty.gif