Ouray Ice Festival

BendGirl

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smokin out in the parking lot. Eyefulls of sunshine in the morning... squint squint, aah, shades. Toproping WI5, burritos, coffee shots at the Petzl hut, bumping into Jim in drag, betting dollars on bad auction goods for a fun cause, watching some of the worlds best atheletes climb right in front of you from a perch on the bridge, rubbing shoulders with some of the world's preeminent dirt bags. Fun fun I say, go forth and have a blast.

A lot of people bag on it, but it's a pretty fun event. The folks who run it work there asses off. You kinda just got to see it for what it really is, a big party. If you really wan't to get any climging in, arrive about four or five days in advance of the icefest. By the weekend it is just too crowded everywhere to get anything done. Donini in a dress was a fucking riot, but the teenage girls dance team was the shit.

Times i've gone, the snow at the pass has been relatively safe and ridable. There are also many safe tree lines just south of the giant hairpin turn (just south of the pass), not to mention up by the 1-lift wonder, Silverton. The hot springs pools in town require $5 i think. There's also privately owned hot springs (clothing optional)just north of town. Stairway to Heaven, near Silverton, is one great line I've done(though like many of the 'alpine' lines there, it has a huge snow bowl above it). It is SUPERB. The park is well-peopled at that time, but is so fun to climb in, just ice everywhere, short easy lines, short hard lines, long lines too. The big lines are right near the bridge mostly: "tangled up in Blue" is the classic 'moderate'. BUYING A PARK 'MEMBERSHIP' GIVES YOU GREAT DEALS ON THE LODGING, ETC. IN TOWN, AND PAYS FOR ITSELF WITHIN A FEW DAYS. Good luck and have fun, sounds like all the posters on this thread have. I'll stop before G-spotter rips me a new one. hahaha.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I just moved up from ouray to make some money and go back. anyway $8 for the springs, arive at least 5 days to get any climbing done, bring your rock shoes because if it's nice you can still pull rock at the "pool wall". I recoment La Ventana it's above the Sh*thouse wall and bellow the lower bridge in fact all the fingers are great too. I am jealous and wishing I didn't move.

It's a great time. Lots of manufacturers have goods to tryout on the ice, so if you're thinking of buying some new gear, you can try various crampons, boots, axes, leashes, etc.

The auction is very entertaining. What's the French climber's name that died in the Karakorum recently? Jean Lafaille? Anyway, he auctioned off one of the axes he used on three of his 8km peak climbs. Donini's a ham.

From an email received:

Dear Ice Climber:

How time flies. Can you believe that another ice climbing season is almost

upon us? We’ve been busy all summer getting the Ouray Ice Park ready for

the 15,000 climbers that use it annually.

Here’s what we’ve been up to while you’ve been out rock climbing,

kayaking, trail running and mountain biking:

- Trail maintenance

- Fixed Line Installation

- Safety Signage Installation

- Pressure Testing the Water System

- System Maintenance

- Expanding our merchandise program and online store

- Preparing for the 2007 Ouray Ice Festival

- Finalizing the land swap with the USFS, private landowners and Ouray

County. This will put all of the ice park into City Ownership by October

2007 !!

- Torque tested all of the existing bolts in the Ouray Ice Park

replaced any worn or suspect anchors.

The 12th Annual Ouray Ice Festival will be held January 10-15, 2007. For

information visit www.ourayicefestival.com

We are beginning our 2007 Membership Drive Campaign as of this mailer.

This year a membership costs only $40 dollars for the entire climbing

season. This year, local businesses will again be offering substantial

discounts (like 20% off lodging) only to members of the Ice Park. Someone

estimated that, by receiving these discounts, it only takes a two-day stay

in Ouray to get back the $40 that your membership costs.

Help support the world’s greatest free ice climbing asset with your

contribution. For more information, visit www.ourayicepark.com or call

Erin Eddy at 970.325.4288.

Go Climb in Silverton or Telluride. I just moved out from the western slope of Colorado and during the fesitval the climbs are busy and chopped out. Ski on Red Moutain pass and climb or ski near Telluride. Ingram falls is a great choice if you dont want to risk poaching Bridalveil(well worth the risk!!)