[TR] Dragontail- Backbone Ridge 9/13/2006

scottgg

Climb: Dragontail-Backbone Ridge

Date of Climb: 9/13/2006

Trip Report:

There was recently a thread pondering why a particular climb will come into vogue, and see a rash of ascents and trip reports. In my humble opinion, I think it is because once a climb is reported, you dont want to be the poor sap without it on your resume, so you go and tick it. Backbone Ridge has recently been one such climb, and seeing as how so many CC.comers have been getting up it, I didnt want to be left out. My courage was bolstered by statements such as "...the offwidth was way easier than I thought", "just bring cams" (good thing because I forgot my nuts and lucky red tri-cam).

Actually this beast has been on my list for awhile, and my brother and I were not disapointed.

9498Backbone_Ridge_004-med.jpg

How'd ya'll get them ropes up there?

9498Backbone_Ridge_007-med.jpg

The Off-Width (which I thought was challenging)

9498Backbone_Ridge_010-med.jpg

Cruizin

9498Backbone_Ridge_016-med.jpg

9498Backbone_Ridge_022-med.jpg

9498Backbone_Ridge_023-med.jpg

Lukey warmin his claws on the fin

9498Backbone_Ridge_036-med.jpg

Descent Sans Crampons

9498Backbone_Ridge_048-med.jpg

Asguard Pass

9498Backbone_Ridge_063-med.jpg

Thanks AlpineDave for lettin us use Big Green!

9498Backbone_Ridge_073-med.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious where exactly you did the "descent sans crampons".

From the summit, we scrambled southeasterly through sandy ledges, then made two single rope rappels, the first being from a cairned anchor. Follow this with just a bit of loose downclimbing, and we were soon boulder hopping towards Asguard. bigdrink.gif

I have climbed Dragontail and did not rappel. Is there no snow to walk off?

We didn't bring crampons, and the snow/glacier had the consistency of concrete hellno3d.gif

I'd rather make the two rappels (good anchors/ no rope eating cracks) than carry crampons.

word

just saw those anchors on my last trip there this summer - definetly the way to fly from now on - from the actual summit you can just about spot the cairn mentioned above - basically by looking off int he direction of aasgard - only 20-30 yards away as i recall

thouroughly disliked the kitty litter n' decrepit death blocks just below the fin - heart in throat when i nearly sent a 500 ton boulder down on my partner despite being careful - once on the cracks though it's butter - i dug the traverse - it's wierd putting in gear down by your feet as you walk along.