Crag Pack Suggestions?

crackers

As soon as I've sold out the few remaining packs I've got left, I'm off to make more.

Probably the most requested new pack was a cragging pack. I have made a prototype, but since it's really ugly, I thought I would describe it in words and see what people think...

• It is a clamshell, so you can zip it open and reveal all your crap all at once.
  • It has a removable internal gear organization system (aka gear loops cantfocus.gif )
  • It has a place for either a helmet on the outside, or a rope.
  • No lid. The zipper comes all the way up to the back, so there is a flattish spot, but no lid.

Is there anything you've been dying to see in a crag pack? Or is there any huge need for another pack?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crackers - that's good news. I couldn't quite justify buying one of the 30L or 40L worksacks since I already have a decent pack for cragging, but it's nice to know that there might be something new & improved on the way. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your prototype, but here are some thoughts.

How big is it? - big enough for a rope (in a rope bag) + a rack + water/lunch to all be stored internally? or is it a smaller size like a book bag? I'd look for slightly different things in a smaller pack vs a bigger pack.

If it's small & there's no lid, is there sufficient strapping to drape a coiled rope across the top & attach it (I guess I can't picture what your external spot for the rope/helmet looks like).

With no lid, are there be 1 or 2 small zippered pockets on the inside or outside to store wallet/keys and any other small items that we really don't want to lose amongst the gear?

Thumbs up for the removable internal gear loops. Is there any place on the outside to clip my stinky shoes to air them out?

I think that the multitude of straps that come with the worksacks would be overkill, or too complicated, for a cragging pack that doesn't have to be dialed in so precisely - but will it still compress down small enough to be comfortable to wear up a long route? (nice, low profile)

Will the 1 big zipper be beefy enough to not break if we over-stuff the pack with heavy gear?

How big is it?

It's about 40 liters, big enough for a trad rack, a rope and lunch to fit inside.

There are two pockets inside, and one outside for guidebooks, lip balm and whatever else you might like to avoid losing.

I agree that a multitude of straps are extraneous to the mission of a crag pack.

I also agree that urethane is a fantastic material for crag packs. On the other hand, I think haul bags are pigs.

Might consider adding in an integral (or optional zip out?) rope tarp. Possibly attach it lengthwise with a beefy zipper up against the frame. Then add an internal compression strap or two to secure the rope up against the frame.

Idea would be to drop the rope onto the tarp, roll it up directly into the pack, secure it with a strap or two, then throw the rest of the gear on top and seal it up?

Good luck and the packs look great! Next time in the market I'll definitely be looking a them!

Cheers

Josh

I've been up Gumby Direct many times, but I stil don't have a haulbag.

My thoughts on a crag pack -

I prefer top loaders over clamshell designs. The simplicity speaks to me.

If you were going to make a clamshell, a rope tarp would be nice.

A fat back pad (bivy pad?) would be sweet to sit around and belay on.

A few daisy-ish points inside and out

Mesh sack or panel to hold shoes outsid the pack

Effective rope tie down outside bag

I have carried haul bags around, and everytime after the trip I have been so uncomfortable I swore I would just buy a cheap pack & let it be torn to shreds & throw it out after 1 trip rather than go through the discomfort of carrying the haul bag. My partner did not hate it as much as I did, but he was a 5'10" male with a pretty muscular build, and I am a 5'6" female that felt like I was carrying way too much. They hold up great, but are an ergonimic nightmare to carry. I use an Arcteryx roll top bag - not perfect but it is pretty comfortable for my size.

I am still using a SunDog that won in contest 19 years ago. It is a top loader with a zipper that goes down one side that allows you to open it from the bottom to extract your shoes. I think this design offers the best of the top loader/clamshell designs. I personally would not buy a clamshell only design.

My two cents...

Things I like in crag pack:

- enough room for a helmet, shoes, rope, rack

- ability to cinch down so its small when all the above stuff is in use

- top pocket for things I want easy access to

- a "safe place" for keys, wallet, etc. things I don't want to ever "accidentally" to drop off from the 3rd belay. My sundog has pocket where a removable pad is and I use that as my safe place.

- I like the removable pad for bivies. The pocket can also be used for hydration bladder.

you wanna make a crag pack..you should be copying Burton..those guys are so far ahead of any one else its awesome..for instance this pack

-36 L

-Removable Chair

-Lined Cooler Compartment with 40 Ounce Champagne Chimney Extension

-Easy-Access Laptop Compartment (Fits 12 in. Laptop)

-Deck of Cards, Shot Glass and Bottle Opener Zipper Pull

Ipod holder with speakers built in for loungin

thats just one pack they have so many, the built in neoprene cooler and stero system is freakin awesome

used this pack the other day at the beach thumbs_up.gif

Burton]http://www.burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=441]Burton[/url][/url]

-