Olympus- The Big Picture

rock-ice

Isnt it dangerous to climb Olympus? Zeus chucking thunderbolts, Ares sneaking around getting it on with Aphrodite behind Hephaestus' back, Kallisti chucking that golden aple around the place, not to mention all the maenads and hamadryads and whatnot.

Plus the pagans complaining that you are desecrating their sacred summit.

And the airfare to Greece?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The approach is flat as a carpenters dream just very very long. If you have some trick ways to save weight on food and clothing it really helps.

Take three days and camp at Deer lake. I you read a decent guide the route will make sense and the rock scramble isn't bad. Watch out for rodents if you stay at Glacier Meadows.

Thank you nacho your point is taken I'm just lazy and during the day I don't have accsses to the books and crap I have buried somewhere at home.

And since you have a PROBLEM [big Drink] (glug glug)with my joke heres another. I just hope you don't meet the criteria. More importantly I hope you don't know where I live.

If your idea of female nudity is revealed forehead, then you might be a terrorist.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: rock-ice ]

All this talk about Olympus had made me think about planning a trip out there this summer. I know a few things about the climb, like the fact that there is a 20 mile long approach, but have little knowledge otherwise.

I would appreciate any info you could give me.Thanks.

rock ice,I've heard a lot of people say three days, or four. Okay, but thats not my style. smile.gif" border="0 Since you asked for opinions about the outing then my two cents worth is this: six freakin' days. Thats right. I love every mile of that hike and wouldnt have it any other way.

Two days up to Glacier Meadows, one day to climb Mt O, one day to hang out (I'm not kiddin') and two days back out again. I've led the outing twice with this schedule and everyone in both teams agreed it was a blast.

The only thing I'll do differently next time is a loop on climb day. Consider going up the Blue to Glacier Pass, I think its called, then travel up the Hoh Gl to the summit, then down via the Snowdome/Blue Gl. That would be quite a tour.

Its Mount Olympus, fer cryin' out loud. Invest six days of your life to savor it.-Dox

You'll probably need that six days, because it will rain for five of them. I wouldn't camp at Deer Lake - it's more of a pond. Also, I wasn't all that stoked about Glacier Meadows for camping. Who wants to hump a pack 15 miles to camp in the trees ten feet from the next group? Try to get a camp higher up towards the glacier if the rangers will allow. It's a good trip if you get the weather to cooperate. Have fun.

D