mt adams

aspencir

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I went up Mt. Adams with my kids (12/13 yo) on 9/1/06. We had crampons/ice ax/ski poles and used them (our first crampon outing). But I also saw a guy fly by us in the AM who was in just regular hiking boots. He summited. You can get to the top without crampons now. You just climb up the ridge West of LC from Crescent Glacier on up. The trade offs are, crampons climb more efficiently on snow than boots on loose rock (and the rock is loose above LC, but crampons add weight and you lose time on transistioning to them/off them. You also need to unpackage/package your crampons. The Mountain Shop had no point protectors to rent to us. It was a headache dealing with the crampons. They are sharp and will cause damage to your head or other gear. Plus you only use them from LC up. If I was to climb this wknd, I would probably leave them and the ax behind. Trekking poles are sufficient.

On a good note, you can still glissade down from Pikers Peak to the top of LC. It took us 2hr 15 mins to get back to our Crescent glacier camp after climbing up 8hrs up that day. I was stunned. Not much glissading in the White Mtns of NH, at least not in the summer time.

my two cents....a lot of the precip falling in the last week has been with the snow level below 6,000 feet, and the current storm has forecasted snow levels ~ 7,000' so conditions might have changed a bit since early september. If there's new snow, you'll want something waterproof.