4 tix for TOOL at the Gorge Sunday August 27

Don_Serl

Family holiday plans have changed, and my son has to sell 4 tickets for the TOOL performance at the Gorge on Sunday evening August 27th. Doors 5pm, show 8 pm. USD50 each. I'll sell pairs, but not singles. Note all tix for the event are general admission.

Also available is 1 camping pass, covering 1 vehicle (no person number limit) at Premier Camping for Sat Aug 26 and Sun Aug 27. Coming from Seattle, I can understand how the Sat nite might not be necessary (or you could climb Saturday, camp out, climb again a while Sunday, then do the concert). But it'd probably be pretty nice to have some place to 'drop' when the concert finishes, rather than having to hit the road in whatever shape... There is a shuttle between the camp and the performance site, but I'm not sure of details/times/charges.

Camping is USD 125 incl fees.

If you're interested, PM me at dserl@telus.net.

Cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don, do you listen to Tool?

After being a BIG rock fan in my youth, I've spent the past 25 years listening almost exclusively to classical, but my son (16 yrs old) has become a drummer so I've been re-introduced to 'modern' music thru him. One of his bands is kinda Toolish (i.e., heavy, complicated, kinda psychedelic, long songs, lotsa tempo/key changes), and I've found this music pretty interesting. Not that I listen to Tool 'recreationally' (or even voluntarily), but I like their music quite a bit when I hear it. There's always so much going on...

Graham's other extant band kinda reminds me of CCR, maybe with a tinge of the Beatles (of all things!). Good times, short direct songs, sometimes a bit of a country 'twang'. Fun.

The third of his bands (now broken up) was fully into punk-ska, and I LOVED going to their shows. Waaaaay too much energy! Bands like Alexisonfire and Rise Against are just great! If I were 30 years younger, that's what I'd listen to.

Bottom line: there is SO much great music around these days, in an amazing variety of styles - I don't 'listen' to it, but I love it all the same. Seems to me like a period of great creativity and productivity. And judging from Graham's circle of friends, kids are listening to just about anything and everything, rather than limiting themselves to just one genre. That's great!

Cheers,

more on this theme: music, more than most art forms, has a visceral content as well as an intellectual content. my problem with rock music back around 1980 when i stopped listening to it was there was very little intellect involved, and i had just gotten tired/bored/worn out with the sweaty/gut thing. meanwhile, classical abounds in intellectual content, and while it seems a bit light on visceral heft at first glance, i can assure you i 'got off' just as well on Beethoven symphonies, loud, late at nite, in the dark, pretty stoked up, as on ANY rock - and there's WAY more going on at a musical level - far too much for me to completely take in.

the cool thing about Tool and bands of their ilk is the complexity of the music. it doesn't rival a symphony, but it's enough to 'challenge' one's listening skills.

p.s. i recently heard a comment from a knowledgeable critic who said "before there was amplification, there was orchestration". yup, dead on. i suspect if Beethoven had lived from 1970 to 2027 instead of 200 years earlier he'da kicked Maynard's ass when it came to baring the soul.

cheers, don