Moutaineering Boots

lowlght

I'm doing Rainier in a month or so and have been trying to find a pair of boots that fit. I'm normally a size 9.5 but can't seem to settle on the right size. The 9.5 is too small and the 10 seemed small when I put on a heavy pack. I seem to have a wide foot and the Koflach hard plastic boots are a bit narrow. I'm afraid if I go bigger I will end up sliding around the liners a lot.

Any advice on sizing or your experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks

~J

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wide front foot and narrow heel. I seem to fit well into boots that somehow allow independednt adjustment of the lower lacing and the heel hold down. You can always make ths happen with creative lacing.

I am really not a fan of plastic boots (although many of my climbing partners are) and have done well with LaSportiva boots for the above mentioned reason. I am sure many other quality brands would fit as well too. For Rainier, the LaSportiva Nepal or K4S will keep your toes toasty warm this fall, and you'll feel infinately better on the approach or on any rocky areas.

Slothrop has good points, especially on the front pointing. I use silk liners and wool socks and do pretty well on not getting blisters.

Be sure to bring your own sock\sock system when you get fit!

-r

• 1 month later...

I really like how Lowa's fit. I got lucky with my first pair- a rental set that the store sold to me for 25 dollas because the inner boot looked like frankenstein on crack. I got a new pair a year ago, and am a happy camper. I bought them a bit large, so I could put a pair of cork insoles inside in addition to two pairs of socks plus the liners. They were a bit expensive but will last me a long time.

bigdrink.gif