Wildflower beta request:

looking for info on the wildflower route on snowpatch...

i've been to the bugz before so info on the specific route is what i'm after. but yes, tips on building a snaffle-proof electric fence is welcome as well.

from the older and newer versions of the bug. rock instruction books all i can gather is that it is 6 to 9 pitches of 5.9 confused.gif the 'straigh-line-topo' makes it look rather straight forward.

thanks thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed it many years ago (about a week after the first ascent, in fact), and I thought it was only so-so. Maybe it is cleaner now, but I thought the original route on Snowpatch was far superior and, even though it has a bunch of squeeze chimney, I liked the McCarthy route better too.

For what it is worth here are my notes from a 2002 climb.

1.About 60m up blocks ledges and a faint crack system (4th class, length dependent on snow level at base)

2.Then a 5.7 or so pitch in a small right-facing dihedral then some flakes and blocks up to the main left-facing dihedral.

3.5.9 Pitch up the dihedral with jamming tending wide

4.Another 5.9 pitch up the dihedral where the crack narrows and there is more stemming and laybacks finishing with a steep move to the right over some blocks to join the continuation of the dihedral.

5. Wide jamming and stemming, 5.9 ish

6. Starts thin, then up flakes rounded grooves and cracks to a large ledge (5.9)

7. 5.6-5.7 cracks on less steep terrain just to the right of the butress crest

8. Wide, rounded cracks and grooves right up to the summit.(5.9) If I recall the last move steps right over the summit cairn.

The climb was clean and very enjoyable when we did it. We had 60m ropes and I recall that we could not string the last 2 pitches together. (We tried and ended up simulclimbing them)

Enjoy, if you are up there in late July perhaps we'll see eachother.