Europe isobutane stove question

Lix

Does anyone out there know if you can get standard-type isobutane gas canisters that would work with a MSR Pocket Rocket?. . . or are the Gaz-Bluet formated canisters the only one's I'll be able to find in Chamonix? Would I be better off to just clean the poo out of my Wisperlight and fuel bottle instead? Help - I leave Monday.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the answer, unfortunately, but why not spare yourself the misery, if you have time, and just buy one there? Canister stoves are dirt cheap, and stoves that have ever been used can be problematic at airport security. When there are rules, they are not evenly applied. Doing this, in the worst case, you get your stove confiscated on the way home when it matters less, in the best case, you maybe get a cool stove not available here, and have the opportunity to go gear shopping overseas. laugh.gif You never know what other super cool stuff you will find on your shopping excursion. Happy travels. grin.gif

does your stove work with the Gaz canisters here? go to REI and play with the stoves and stuff there to see if they will work together. flying with your stove wont be a problem, you just cant fly with fuel.

while climbing in France and Italy last year we looked for days for white gas and never found any. I wasnt sure about using petrol from the pump so we ended up buying a stove there. left the canister there and flew home with a new stove.

I don't know about international flights, but I had a pocket rocket and a fuel canister in my checked luggage when I flew to San Francisco a few weeks ago. I "forgot" about it at the airport and didn't have any problems. The canister was brand new and on the flight back to Seattle (after using it), again, no problems.

Screw top canisters have become the industry majority. You should have no problem finding them in Cham.

Freeburg, you're X XXXX XXX.

Freeburg, I apologize for calling you a dumb ass. The following conversation shows that what you did was an understandable, if foolish, decision. And I was a bit quick to judge and run my mouth. So you're not a dumb ass. You're a fool. Or a tool.

I can understand flying with empty stoves. I can even justify flying with empty liquid fuel bottles that aren't capped. But to knowingly allow a pressurized, higly flamable canister to be checked in with your luggage - essentially a bomb in the right conditions - was stupid.

Edited by mtnfreak

Screw top canisters have become the industry majority. You should have no problem finding them in Cham.

Freeburg, you're a dumb ass.

I can understand flying with empty stoves. I can even justify flying with empty liquid fuel bottles that aren't capped. But to knowingly allow a pressurized, higly flamable canister to be checked in with your luggage - essentially a bomb in the right conditions - was stupid.

Yeah, next thing you know they'll allow HAIRSPRAY OR ANY OTHER NUMBER OF FLAMMABLES IN PRESSURE VESSELS ALLOWED IN THE HOLD!

not that it's not cool, but to get 10 demerits from a ranting guide to be? yoda.gif

No, seriously, the reason we always get our chops busted about stoves on flights is because of stupid stunts like this.

No, it's because the airlines are idiots who can, and will prohibit and charge at will. Stoves are a fringe item, with some marginal safety impact, they can prohibit at will. Hairspray, other aerosols, hightest spirits aren't fringe items. If you don't believe those can be bombs, I guess you had a boring childhood hahaha.gif

As for chops busted - I've never had a problem. Maybe I could certified as a professional airport guide rolleyes.gif

I've had a couple of close calls. Bags inspected. I even got pulled out of line for a flight from Santiago, Chile, when my fuel bottles - empty and washed - were inspected for fuel residue. hellno3d.gif

Heh. In Argentina I'd forgotten (literally, not a faux 'oops') to remove the fuel from the fuel bottle in Comodoro - the bags went directly from the counter to the plane - no screening at all blush.gif