Memorial Day statistics

Memorial Day weekend traffic deaths nearly top record

Eight people died in Oregon traffic crashes over the Memorial Day weekend, the highest fatality figure for the holiday in 19 years.

Oregon State Police officials said that between 6 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Monday, four fatal traffic crashes occured that resulted in the deaths. Nine people died in 1987 during the holiday.

The crashes include:

-- Four people killed Friday in a multivehicle crash on Oregon 126 near Springfield.

-- A motorcyclist who died Saturday in a single vehicle crash on a county road near Bend.

-- A woman who died early Monday after being ejected from a vehicle in Tigard. Police suspect alcohol and speed may have been a factor in the accident.

-- A husband and wife who were killed after being struck by a vehicle on Oregon 47 in Washington County.

OSP troopers arrested 81 motorists across the state for driving under the influence of intoxicants, matching last year's totals for the holiday weekend.

They also issued more than 1,650 speed-related citations, an increase of about 20% from last year when 1,330 speed-related citations were handed out. There were 250 people who were given tickets for safety belt and child safety seat violations.

In the Coos Bay area, troopers stopped a woman and cited her for driving nearly 20 mph over the posted speed limit. Two hours later, she was stopped and cited again for driving 74 mph. Police said the woman was so upset at being stopped a second time that she peeled out after getting a ticket and nearly struck another vehicle while entering the highway.

The trooper stopped her again and cited for careless driving.

"The three main safety factors -- speed, impaired driving and proper use of safety restraints - we talked about before the holiday weekend were once again major factors in several injury and fatal crashes this holiday weekend," said OSP Captain Gerry Gregg, director of the patrol services division." -The Oregonian

I particularly like the section about the lady getting pulled over 3 times in a day. snugtop.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I particularly like the section about the lady getting pulled over 3 times in a day. snugtop.gif

John. you've been outdone!!! yellaf.gif

Bullshit. She received 3 tickets from 2 officers in a day... I did 3 tickets from 3 separate officers in 12 hours.

Amateur rolleyes.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifwazzup.gif

Hey speaking of my suspension is almost over hahaha.gifsnugtop.gif

No way man... anybody can get 2 tickets from one traffic stop... speeding and seat belt... license plate and no proof of insurance... blah blah blah... It takes a real idiot to continue speeding after being nailed twice yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

I give her props for careless driving peel out in front of the cop... how is that different than reckless confused.gif or is it the same thing?