bugaboos season?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there mid July & early August last summer. July found a fair bit of snow around. Glaciers were easy to travel on, but some routes were still pretty icy. Early August was great. Lots of dry rock, but the glaciers were still plain sailing. I'm putting my money on another early August trip this year.

posted on May 19, 2006

Hi All,

This may seem early to most of you but I have had several inquiries lately so I thought I would pass it on.

It is still winter in the Bugaboo Spires. The logging road has only been passable (4x4 only) for a couple of days and the last three KM into the Park are closed due to construction from last fall. The trail is snow covered all the way to the hut and is still threatened by serious avalanche hazard from Eastpost Spire.

Historically, parties heading into the Bugs before mid to late June have spent more time wallowing around in waist deep snow than climbing.

Cheers,

Marc Piché

Mountain Guide

hope this helps, I am also trying to plan my first trip to the Bugs.

I've been to the Bugs once, so I have a general idea of the area. Going again this summer and I've done a couple of the crowded classics. Can anyone reccomend good routes that are not the crowded classics. The more difficult the better. Looking for ideas for harder free climbs that can be done in a day by non-super climbers, but by a party thats able to climb fast enough. Energy Crisis looks awesome, but is short.

Has anyone done Furry Pick, Bugaboo, Sunshine, Tower Arete or any other routes on Snowpatch?

As for Howser, if you bivied at the base of the Beckey Chournard, would there be snow to melt for water? Whats a good rack for this route?

Tim-

Sunshine looks amaaaaaazing. but of course, you've walked right under it. I've done most of the Kraus McCarthy on snowpatch. fun route, about 5.8. I think Joe Puryear has some pictures of Furry Pink on his website. That and the Wildflowers route looks cool. Other classic but hard routes include All Along the Watchtower on the howsers (up to 5.12, or a lot of .10 and .11 with a small bit of aid). Also, I've talked to two parties who did the East face of Piegon spire and really liked it (long 5.10 route)

Hey Dave -

Thanks for the ideas. Everything sounds really good. I'd love to try all along the Watchtower. I saw the topo and it looks cool. All depends on what I can talk the chica into. No matter what, it'll be good to be back in North America for a while.