accident on the Reid

mullster

Fantastic work again by members of Portland Mountain Rescue and the AMR RAT Team in rescuing an injured climber/skier from the Reid yesterday! Apparently the fellow fell nearly 300ft while skiing (the Reid??!!). Anyway, the rescuers took nearly 12hours total to reach, treat, package, and transport across the Reid, over Illumination Saddle and back to TLine. The AMR rescuers then continued transporting the victim to Emanual. Good job everyone!!

thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy! I think we may have seen that guy from high up on the reid headwall! We heard and saw him come scraping down from the Illumination saddle. Didn't make much sense at the time cause it was so early and the snow/ice was super hard. Guess if you were trying to circumnavigate that would explain why he was there, but still seems a bit crazy. Glad he is okay, and a huge thumbs_up.gif to rescuers, who pulled (literally) off what sounds like a really hard rescue!

Its in the Oregonian.

linky poo here

Two friends and I skied around the mountain on Friday. We left Timberline about 5:15 a.m. I think I know exactly where Jeremy Buck fell. I was in the lead when we crossed a short but quite steep slope above some rocks. This was right at the base of Yocum Ridge and it was the last obstacle before the terrain got much easier. I had a Whippet in my uphill hand and a Ramer/Life-Link grip in my downhill hand. The slope was hard frozen with a minor runnel to cross. I remember calling a warning over my shoulder after crossing it. My friends did not have self-arrest grips. I was glad I didn't put mine to the test here. We all agreed that it was sketchy. We were on alpine touring gear, but I was skiing in mountain boots.

In a way, it was a classic psychological trap, because the slope was not very wide and it was clear that things got easier on the other side. It was a sucker slope.

I'm glad to hear that Jeremy Buck will be okay. Be careful out there.