[TR] Sahale Ski- Cascade Pass -> Sahale Arm 5/4/2006

Tony_Bentley

Climb: Sahale Ski-Cascade Pass -> Sahale Arm

Date of Climb: 5/4/2006

Trip Report:

After cranking hard to meet a deadline, no sleep was to be had last night. I tried but Justin knocked 15 minutes after I laid down. In 40 minutes we were packed with food, coffee and gear and Justin was bombing down I-5. He made record time up Cascade River road drifting corners and taking the pothole hits at full speed.

We were making good time and were skinning up Sahale Arm by 10am and had only stopped to chow and gauk at the snowy North Cascades a couple of times. I kept stopping and looking at all of them. North facing slopes are more fun!

ncascades.jpg

By noon we were at the base of the final crag of Sahale trying to find the least sketchy way to ski from the summit.

summit.jpg

There were two options; drop down a bit to the west face or go around the eastern side. We picked the northeastern slope but skiing from the direct summit wasn't an option for either of us. We hung out at the top and Justin then downclimbed and took some video of my single "don't botch it" turn from about 15' from the summit. A screw up would have sent me sliding down a slope that dropped off into who knows where.

Forbidden Peak looked great in snow.

forbidden.jpg

After Justin came around and put on his ski gear he took the first run which was nice and steep with great snow conditions.

jdawgski.jpg

Another few thousand feet and we were looking back at our tracks and loving the sun and perfect corn.

skitracks.jpg

J-Berg was puking snow and the rumble and dumps were fun to watch. Soon we were back at the car driving for Mexi and listening to Dr Dre.

cascaderiver.jpg

By the way.. I believe this was Justin's first ever trip into the backcountry on skis and I must say, he did pretty good! Keep it up!!! grin.gif

Gear Notes:

Axe, cramps, sunblock and a red bull

Approach Notes:

melting fast

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic