Mountaineers in Leavenworth - April 22 & 23

DirtyHarry

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it is fun to make fun of all of the larger climbing groups in the area, especially The Mountaineers, but I just found out recently that they helped with the rescue out at R&D this past Sunday...So, this just goes to show that all the training they do does come in handy.

So, this just goes to show that all the training they do does come in handy.

Yeah all those sick bouldering skillz they cultivate translate really well to high-angle rescue.

H_BOULDER08.JPG

The phat 5.5 group gangbang toprope sessions I'm sure were money in administering first responder aid and promptly evacuating the injured climber.

Peter, your analysis ignores the fact that Mountaineers are also cc.com posters. This has a significant effect on the statistics. I will stop by just pointing it out and leave Gary Yngve to do the math, and CBS to publish the results.

I'd like to be the one to mock them after all their hard work. Maybe I can label myself as a "Senior Manager" or something important-sounding.

Dru - my calculations are based on the concept of "general community perception." For example: CBS while a well known Mounty is even better known in the general climbing community as "that chemistry guy on cc.com." Using the standard of "GCP" he is considered a CC.comer.

While the Mounties get slagged on cc.com several friends of mine have asked me about the appearently high accident rate of cc.comers. I too have wondered about it. I believe it is partially an artifact of the web.

I think you'd have to wait and classify CBS until after he gets involved in an accident. If he is on The Tooth with an intermediate climbing party of Mountaineers, it would be a mounty accident. If he were there with his buddy Peter Puget, it'd be a cc.com misadventure.

It does seem like we are having lots of accidents but it may be, as you hint, that we simply talk about them more on cc.com than we might have, say, ten years ago.

You are all referring to cc.com as if it is a community or a club or something like the mounties. Its a frigging website. Its not like people list it in their affiliations in the AAJ, like the AAC or the KTK.
When people start meeting each other through this site and go climbing together, as we do at Exit 38, then it starts to become more than just a website and more like a club.