finger problem?

I pulled something in my ring finger on my left hand I'm pretty sure, climbing on Crime of the Century the other weekend... It doesn't seem to to hurt and i don't even feel it when i climb though.. But when I train on a fingerboard or rock rings and do two or three finger pullups, etc. it sends pain shooting all the way from my first joint through my palm and into my wrist.. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what to do to recover or what it is? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest it for several weeks. Definitely stop doing fingerboard exercises. Might be time to brush up on the slab technique.

If you strained a tendon or something, it's just going to take a while to heal. If you repeatedly reinjure it, it'll just turn into a chronic problem.

been soaking my finger tendon injury in ginger hot-water with good results. Grate several ounces of ginger, place in cheesecloth, place ginger bolus in water, heat on stove to no more than 160 F, allow to cool to around 120 F, soak hand with injured finger (treatment doesn't work if you soak hand without injured finger), repeat.

What's the ginger supposed to do? I mean, other than make your hand smell good. Stimulate circulation?

As a general rule, ice an injury during the first 48 hours to keep swelling down, then use heat after that to improve circulation and help it heal faster.

Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I do this...

Actually, Arnica works wonders for soft tissue injuries. Zenith Supplies used to sell an arnica pine salve from Herb Tecnnologies that's smelly but good. Traumheal is another brand of arnica concoction that's popular.

After the major swelling has gone down, I found that alternating hot and cold soaks seemed to help. Ice water 5-10 minutes, then warm water 5-10 minutes, repeat, etc. Supposed to stimulate the circulation more that way. Supposedly tendons are circulation challenged and thus need all the help they can get to heal.