Flying restrictions

chirp

Disclaimer: If there is a previous post on this pls link it! Thanks!

I am flying out to RR next week and I have NOT flown in many years...esp with luggage. Do the new security measures these days have any issues with a rack and gear in luggage? Will my nut tool be confiscated? Any tip or thoughts would be cool! Thanks in advance! wave.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last few times I've flown, I've carried my rope and rack as carry-on to minimize the weight of my bag (stupid 50 lbs max madgo_ron.gif). I haven't run into any problems yet, but certainly check to make sure sharp stuff (your nut tool, that knife you have stashed, etc) is all in your checked luggage. They won't even let you pack a lighter or matches anymore--asinine!

Have fun in the desert!

Pack everything, carry on nothing but what you need in case you get stuck overnight somewhere. What really sucks is that not all airports follow the same level of strictness, so you never know. I have had people insist I take hair sticks (like big hair pins) out of my carry on--even though I was wearing some of the same ones in my hair. Stupid. But I'd be pissed if I had to give up any gear to some moron who has no idea what the hell it is.

Depends. Some TSA are hardcore... some are not.

I flew last week and checked everything only to have it end up in San Diego madgo_ron.gif bitches.

You do get 2 50 lb bags to check through so unless you are carrying a bigwall rack you should be manage a trip on 100 lbs of gear.

I flew to Alaska a few weeks ago with all of my ice gear, a fair amount of rock gear, snowshoes, and a tent. I ended up with a 48 lb duffel bag and a 49 lb duffel bag to check. I then took the frame out of my climbing pack (left it at home, w/ proper packing it was fine, plus the longest approach was only 2 miles). I put all of my heavy clothes and coats, along w/ some misc. slings etc. in the pack. I then wore my mountaineering boots, and had my shoes in the pack. I got through security at both DIA and Anchorage w/o even a second glance.

I flew to RR a month after 9-11 with everything in my carry on. I have terrible luck with luggage getting lost and it would have really sucked to have gotten there and not been able to climb because the airline had lost my luggage so I carried it. They didn't even bat an eye. I couldn't believe it. They were more interested in my boots.

Cool info, thank for the input! I figure 2X#50 should be reasonable. I got a couple of those BD hueys and they will be less than full ( got the smaller ones, 100l and 60l)

What about locking up the bags? I heard the new combo locks are designed with a special skeleton code that baggage checkers know. Or is locking stuff up just paranoia?

Anyhow thanks for the info thus far. It will be great to get back to RR after moving back up here in 2002. I miss the desert. cry.gif

Boot bombs I'm sure.

I agree that it makes a difference where you're checked. I flew from Wash D.C. onto an overnight stop in Orlando and then to Seattle about a year ago. I carried on a trad rack and had absolutely no trouble in DC or Seattle. In Orlando I went through two supervisors before they became convinced that the gear was harmless.

I flew to vegas with a sack of weed either mabey I'm both lucky and stuipd. But you should be fine with only climbing gear flying from where ever you are (seattle?) to vegas. Most of the TSA people are fuckin morons. Your probably on a direct flight so I wouldnt worry to much about carrying on stuff with you, incase you bags dont make it. I've only see that being a problem on connection flights. Enjoy your trip I was just down around that area and its very nice right now!

Cool info, thank for the input! I figure 2X#50 should be reasonable. I got a couple of those BD hueys and they will be less than full ( got the smaller ones, 100l and 60l)

What about locking up the bags? I heard the new combo locks are designed with a special skeleton code that baggage checkers know. Or is locking stuff up just paranoia?

Anyhow thanks for the info thus far. It will be great to get back to RR after moving back up here in 2002. I miss the desert. cry.gif

DO NOT lock your bags! handlers are allowed to cut locks, and often do. There is no benefit to locking your bag, if they want to get inside it they will.

I don't lock my bags but rather just make it hard for someone to reach in easily. A piece of wire wrapped around a couple times prevents the quick grab but still allows the TSA to look inside when they see the huge amount of metal. I get an inspection notice when I move my climbing gear almost everytime (especially with ice tools).