Which one is Cascadian???

CascadeClimber

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The couple times I've come down the Cascadian Couloir, I've ended up on a trail that meets the Ingalls Creek trail about a 1/4 mile East (downstream) of the Long's Pass trail.

The CC trail I'm thinking of leaves the Ingall's Creek trail at the edge of a forested section, just West of a meadow. The trail goes North of a tree or two and breaks out into the meadow on an uphill, Eastwards traverse. Also, it leaves the ICT just East (?) of a fairly good sized stream (been running every time I've been there).

Come to think of it, I also found this trail once from the base, and went up it on my way to Sherpa.

[ 07-30-2002, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: chucK ]

what chucK said. Its not particularly hard to find from the valley bottom coming from Longs Pass. Cross the creek and go down valley. Soon the trail enters a pleasant medow where there is a climbers path going UP. It switchbacks through the medow a few times, then up the climbers left side of the medow in timber to some benches, then directly into the couloir. From here you climb up the bottom and then the right side of the couloir, steep in a few spots and sometimes wet. The terrain eases off higher up, until the false summit and eventually Sherpa come into view.

The couloir/gully/valley that runs directly under the West face of Sherpa is one couloir/gully/valley to the East of the Cascadian. When I went up the thing I described, I was not under the West Face of Sherpa. I had to traverse over to Sherpa.

Maybe I AM wrong about which couloir. It always confuses me to hear people whining about that thing. Next to a full-on glissade with a big runout, the thing I descended was the most cush descent one could hope for. Snow part of the way, then lots of sand for easy, non-jarring, knee-saving plunge stepping.

Loren, I think I was wrong about that descent. To get to the Cascadian Couloir, go down the trail about a mile more until you see a big brush field that heads up to a slabby headwall. Just start crashing through the brush uphill. Just as you think that that can't possibly be the correct way, the brush will part and there will be a nice trail. Really.

quote:

Originally posted by CascadeClimber:

Ray- that first picture you posted shows the correct entry from the valley bottom?

Nothing more, just wanted to quote CascadeClimber questioning Captain Caveman concerning climbing Cascadian Couloir on CascadeClimbers.com.

I was just up on Stuart last weekend. So this is still fresh in my mind. At the intersection of the trail down from Longs Pass and Ingalls Creek Trail, take a right. Head east on Ingalls Crk Tr. about 1/4 mi. to a large clearing. At the western edge of this clearing there is a forest service sign "No Campfires above 5000'" A few yards past this sign, a way trail ascends to the left (N) uphill into the brush. This trail is pretty easy to follow and will take you up into the Cascadian Couloir. There is a way trail and cairns all the way up the couloir. Have Fun!

The "trail is just west of a meadow/clearing, climbs in trees, then exits east into the meadow" description sounds exactly like Variation #2, which I came down from Sherpa last year.

In fact, here is my description from last year:

"We rejoin the Ingalls trail 100 feet east of the Turnpike Creek junction."

Hmmm.

Ray- that first picture you posted shows the correct entry from the valley bottom? If so, I'll print it and take it along.

Thx all-

Loren