Mozambique

dalius

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought all baboons were cute and cuddly...

Yeah think again! Baboons have been giving me a hard time at the crag I have been visiting lately. It is bad enough that I don't get to climb as frequently as I would like, but then to have them cut my days short, sucks. You can read about it in my TR on the last couple times I have visited a cliff we have dub as Panga .

Reminds me of my days in Argentina when I was robbed by the police several times.

Really? As a gringo it seemed I was pretty much immune to being hitup - never pulled over at the checkpoints, etc. Know a couple people who were hit up for drunk in public - feigned ignorance and patience let them free without impacting the wallet.

I was in Argentina for a long time and most everywhere was fine. It wasn't until I got to the northeast, to Buenos Aires and on the way to Iguazu Falls, that I ran into problems. They wanted to charge me US$200 for drinking mate while driving. Bastards.

I was in Argentina for a long time and most everywhere was fine. It wasn't until I got to the northeast, to Buenos Aires and on the way to Iguazu Falls, that I ran into problems. They wanted to charge me US$200 for drinking mate while driving. Bastards.

Heh. Near Posadas? Paraguay is even more "interesting".

I wish I'd taken a picture of the women with a crate full of live chickens on her head walking directly underneath the sign saying "No importation of live animals" in Ciudad del Este

My wife just got robbed by the police yesterday. Driving in a rural area of Mozambique, they were stopped for "speeding", though the police didn't even have a radar - just a telescope to search for whitey in the back of cars. They had to pay up or go to jail. Reminds me of my days in Argentina when I was robbed by the police several times. Make my fucking blood boil madgo_ron.gif because there is nothing you can do. They are the police!

Next thing you know the baboons are going to be packin' heat!

A poli-sci college professor of mine, who's focus was on civil administration in developing nations told me a story of how he was pulled over for some similar shit in Ethiopia. He just refused to pay any money, and told the police that if he broke a law to take him to the police station, jail, or whatever. They police didn't really know what to do, so they just let him go.

My wife just got robbed by the police yesterday. Driving in a rural area of Mozambique, they were stopped for "speeding", though the police didn't even have a radar - just a telescope to search for whitey in the back of cars. They had to pay up or go to jail. Reminds me of my days in Argentina when I was robbed by the police several times. Make my fucking blood boil madgo_ron.gif because there is nothing you can do. They are the police!

Next thing you know the baboons are going to be packin' heat!

A poli-sci college professor of mine, who's focus was on civil administration in developing nations told me a story of how he was pulled over for some similar shit in Ethiopia. He just refused to pay any money, and told the police that if he broke a law to take him to the police station, jail, or whatever. They police didn't really know what to do, so they just let him go.

That worked for me on Zanzibar. When got pulled over for not having drivers licenses or permit. The police insisted it was going to be a big fine, but that we could pay them and it would be ok. We told them if we were guilty they should take us down and we would pay our fines. It went back and forth for about an hour and eventually they realized they weren't getting any money from us. We agreed to meet at the police station the next Wenesday and settle our case, yeah right, our flight was on Tuesday so it didn't matter. Later that day we were stopped again, the same thing happened, they tried to get a bribe from us but never succeeded.

Another time in Mexico, we were in a car accident where we rolled the car. The first thing we did was to make sure we were alright. The second thing we did was to hide most of our money in case the police showed up. The third thing we did was to hide the car from the police as quick as possible.

Gotta love developing countries, I guess it suits my anaarchist tendencies.