Sass Ridge 2/25

Dave_Schuldt

The original plan was to do Jove Peak but with the dump of last week the avy danger was too high so we decided on Davis instead. As we were driving along Lake Cle Elum we could see the mountain tops disappearing into the clouds so we decided to ski Sas Ridge instead. The whole are is infested with sowmos but this area is a voluntary no moto zone. We parked on the roadside (STATE SNOPARK PASS REQUIRED) as Wolfie was testing the release on his bindings his funky old boots broke in half. He walked up with MarkL and I until the snow got too deep. The road climb seemed to take forever but we eventually reached the clear cut and started climbing for real. We dug a pit and found an OK bond between the new snow and crust. We got onto a ridge then traversed then went up a steep section to the ridge again then the summit. Would’ve been nice to have the Wolfie along to share the trail breaking. MarkL mumbled something about how it would be nice to have a snowmo come along and break for us. My comment was “Be careful what you wish for ‘cause they wont just stick to the road and they travel in swarms.” We got 2 nice runs off the top then traversed to the top of the clear cut. Some blue kick wax really helped the traversing. We then got more turns down the clear cut to the road. On the way down we ran into Wofie, who had walked back up the road, we were stoked when he told us he ran into town and got beer. This is a good tour for beginner B/C skiers who are in good shape. Snowmo haters take note; we only saw one old track and the whole valley is filled with their noise.

bigdrink.giffruit.gif

Edited by Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice tour!! I have been wanting to get over to that side of the mountains. I can't wait for the pictures.

Went up to Yodelin on Sunday and the snow was much scarier. We dug a pit on a 40 degree NW aspect (bering of 308) and it broke about three feet down with almost no tugging with a shovel shear test. We stuck to the trees after that. It's probably due to the pass effect snow in the area but it creeped me out a little walking below some of the clear cuts there, even though they are not quite the right steepness.