Colchuck glacier

kevin

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a lot of people have been up around dragontail lately. Anyone been on the colchuck glacier? Is the snow still pretty soft? I might head up there this weekend and I'm just curoius if it will be an enjoyable climb yet or just a slog.

thanks

kevin

I believe this is correct but you might want to verify with the Leavenworth Ranger District...

You need a Wilderness Permit for Colchuck Lake. It is within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness area. Until June 15 there is no limit to the number of overnight users. June 15 and after the Enchantments quota system is in effect.

Lambone if you verify with the L'Worth Ranger on the permit issue, please report. I think it used to be the first or second weekend of June that the permit system went into effect. Not sure though.

Thanks,

John Sharp

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreate/wilderns.html#alpine

Quoted from above:

"An overnight reservation permit is required from June 15 to October 15 for entry to the unique Enchantments Area of this wilderness. Dogs are not allowed within any of the permit areas. Permits for day-hiking within the reservation area, as well as day use and overnight trips in other areas of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, are available on a self-issue basis at the Leavenworth Ranger Station and trailheads."