Index, Rockfall Issues

jessehuey

Insects colonize. Beer drinkin, smack talkin, fun bums are more like Amoebas. They merely infest.

You would stand out like a sore thumb and be pummeled regularly.

We are a minority as users go.

DO NOT ALIENATE THE ORV USERS.

They ARE a colony.

There was a case in Idaho (?) a few years or decades ago where a hiker was killed by trundled rocks. The trundler was somehow found and convicted of manslaughter. Do we have any volunteers?

Some friends of mine in Montana were brazenly attacked from above by a group of highschool kids on a wilding. They had no choice but to rappell quickly and sustained some shrapnel injuries in the process. They ran down the trail with the intention of continuing to the top and "conversing" with the youngsters but ran into a county sherrif at the trailhead. He said he would investigate. As it turned out, one of the wilding kids was the sherrif's son. If one of the victim's girlfriends had not been the daughter of a US Senator, the matter would have been dropped. As it turned out, the kids and their parent's were required to attend 9th district court proceedings against the kids but there were no convictions even though the kids had yelled many curses and clearly intended to murder the climbers. They even bragged about their exploits to other highschool kids.

My suggestion would be to have a quiet conversation with the perpetrators. And never speak of the incident to anyone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am really excited to see that there are alot of other people out there who care about this and who have really good ideas to add in to some sort of a solution. I think I agree with about every thing that each of us have brought up. I have spoken with all of the agencies involved here and they are each interested in working with us. I think that we as a unified body (of climbers) need to come up with a creative solution. Then we can take that to the other groups and get their input ie. the ORV users, the land managers, etc. and see if we can get somewhere. I think a meeting to brainstorm amongst ourselves is a good idea. I would say of the last 10 times I have been to the upper wall one third of those times something has been thrown off while I have been there.

MEETING:

I propose a meeting in conjunction with the Washington Climber Coalition at Hales Ale, Thursday Feb. 23rd. It will allow us to brainstorm together and come get a concensous as to how we wanna go about this. After that we can meet with the ORV guys, the State, and DNR with our ideas. How does this sound to everyone. I am completely flexible on the day, time and location if someone would move it around to another time. I have a date with Sea of Vapors this weekend in Banff so I won't be back until Wed. Unless otherwise posted I will be at hales on Thursday.

MEETING:

I propose a meeting in conjunction with the Washington Climber Coalition at Hales Ale, Thursday Feb. 23rd. It will allow us to brainstorm together and come get a concensous as to how we wanna go about this. After that we can meet with the ORV guys, the State, and DNR with our ideas. How does this sound to everyone. I am completely flexible on the day, time and location if someone would move it around to another time. I have a date with Sea of Vapors this weekend in Banff so I won't be back until Wed. Unless otherwise posted I will be at hales on Thursday.

Jesse, I can meet at this time. I'm a board member of the WCC, but can't totally represent the WCC, as I'm just one vote on the committee. I think to really talk about this, we would need to have the key people who have been involved at Index for sometime, and have a very good understanding of the issues.

was out at index this morning and was chatting with a sheriff (deputy?), a climber. we was friendly and when i mentioned to him the reports of people trundling he said he was unaware of the recent events. he even said he might head up there to check things out.

i did not get his name but a local climber/sheriff might be helpful in making a difference.

Up at the UTW yesterday climbing DH to LA with ice falling all over the place off of the waterfall and Golden arch area when we heard "HEADS UP"!! Then like two seconds later some dude jumps off the top of Lovin Arms like a fuckin flying squirrell directly above my head! Holy shit, its just what you want to see while your on lead with shit falling all around you some PERSON flying through the air screaming thier head off, right above you. Must be a pretty sick buzz though(base jumping). While we were rapping we heard some stuff falling (thrown?) off under sisu. Most of the ice is gone but heads up out there!